<GALAXY~CABAL> Biotech Cos. Making Sci-Fi Vaccines (fwd)

Leslie Schentag (wy497@victoria.tc.ca)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

This just came in my inbox..
It deals with the making of vaccines for young children
Here it also gets into genetically altered foods and the use of for
administering the vaccines..within the food itself.
Just think about the implications of that practice
as always.
LGS
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 19:44:00 -0400
From: Roger <RogerStevenson@compuserve.com>
To: Galaxycabal <galaxycabal@angus.mystery.com>
Subject: <GALAXY~CABAL> Biotech Cos. Making Sci-Fi Vaccines

The Galaxy Cabal - "The Eyes and Ears of Tiamat"

To:            Ndunlks@AOL.COM

Date:          Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:42:43 -0600
Subject:       Re: Biotech Cos. Making Sci-Fi Vaccines
From:          doc789@juno.com (Byron T Weeks)

This sounds good, but it could be something more sinister. Like what else
is in the vaccine? Besides, I was taught that most vaccines taken orally
are destroyed by the gastric acid, and digestive enzymes. Polio live
virus is an exception. It usually just causes stomach "flu." I really
doubt that you can immunize for a non-gastrointestinal virus by oral
vaccine. Something stinks here, IMHO.

doc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:19:57 EDT Ndunlks@aol.com writes:

>From: AOLNews@aol.com
>Subject: Biotech Cos. Making Sci-Fi Vaccines
>Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 18:18:28 EDT

>Biotech Cos. Making Sci-Fi Vaccines
>
>.c The Associated Press
>
> By LAURAN NEERGAARD
>
>NEW YORK (AP) - Biotechnology companies are closing in on new ways to
>vaccinate - with a glass of transgenic milk for malaria, a banana for
>hepatitis, even Star Trek-like nasal sprays and ``gene guns.''
>
>This sci-fi innovation promises not only to ease the 15 vaccine shots
>an
>average child gets by age 4, but to lower production costs and allow
>protection against diseases that conventional vaccines simply can't
>tackle.
>
>``Vaccines will be more than just dead pathogens injected in your
>arm,''
>Gregory Milman, pathogenesis chief at the National Institute of
>Allergy and
>Infectious Diseases, said Monday.
>
>Most are still in early development, he cautioned. But companies
>backed by
>millions of dollars in new National Institutes of Health funding are
>developing everything from edible vaccines to vaccines made of disease
>DNA
>simply shot through people's skin cells with needleless hyposprays.
>``It's
>very exciting technology,'' Milman said.
>
>Aviron Inc. will ask the Food and Drug Administration later this year
>approve the first of these novel vaccines, a nasal-spray flu vaccine
>for
>children, who are the main spreaders of influenza. Aviron is
>completing
>testing in adults, and reports that FluMist is more than 90 percent
>effective.
>
>It doesn't just take the ouch out of flu shots. Injections only
>produce
>antibodies against flu in patients' bloodstreams, while a nasal spray
>produces
>a powerful but different reaction - mucosal immunity - inside the nose
>where
>influenza strikes, Aviron President J. Leighton Read told some 4,000
>scientists and companies at the biotechnology industry's annual
>meeting here.
>
>``Someday we may be able to deliver all vaccines via mucosal
>surfaces'' like
>the nose or gastrointestinal tract, said Dr. Myron Levine of the
>University of
>Maryland, who is helping develop what he calls ``vaccine cuisine.''
>
>Plants can be genetically engineered to grow with an antigen against
>human
>disease inside them. The idea: Eat the plant and be vaccinated. The
>concept
>just won legitimacy when the first human experiment showed people who
>ate raw
>potatoes with a diarrheal vaccine showed a protective immune response.

> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

This message was transmitted by or redirected from :
... Roger <RogerStevenson@compuserve.com>

|                           * The Galaxy Cabal *                          |
|              Internet News Tabloid for the Galactick Guilde		  |
|                 ___"all the news that's fit to post!"___                |
|				 and more!                                |