Re: Frisco's "Police Specials" (Was: private Safety Pa

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@arcos.org)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 13:17:24 -0400

At 12:38 PM 6/16/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Limitations on Ottowa's "Safety Patrol" (i.e. "eyes & ears", only) --
>while they leave room for these privately hired agents to exercise
>"enhanced"  citizenship while on their street-patrol -- still are more
>strict than statutes in San Francisco:  merchants contract with private
>armed (e.g. clubs, mace, & yes... guns) officers...
>
>... which officers patrol the public streets.
>
>Yet they're not police... well, not the regular police...
>
>... they're Special Police.  And shit happens.
>
>And so, my friends in Canada, cherish what modest protection your "Police
>and Investigations Act" affords y'all.
>
>George Perry... "Juggler Vain's House of Dung", Frisco Liberation Radio

Many housing projects in Toronto and elsewhere in Ontario have hired an
outfit called Intelligarde (there's an oxymoron for you) to handle
security. Of course their usual way of 'handling' it is thug tactics.
They've also been hired by the city to cover facilities such as the parking
garage at City Hall and the Greyhound terminal (where there are numerous
incidents of humeless people being harrassed and abused.) In fact, I
understand they've entirely taken over all policing functions in one small
southeastern Ontario community. (They certainly claim major control over
the streets in my 'hood in Toronto.)

These guys aren't armed (yet!) except for these big maglights they tote
around, but they do take firearms training.  The Police and Investigations
Act is having less and less relevance with each passing day.

--
Graeme Bacque