Re: Letter to Financial Post Re: Frum Article

Liberty (liberty@vaxxine.com)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 14:34:19 -0400

Graeme,

At 06:50 AM 13/06/1998 -0400, you wrote:

>Graeme  F.  Bacque
>319 Dundas St. E. #408 Toronto, Ontario M5A 2A2 CANADA
>V: (416) 368-3366 F: (416) 368-5984 Internet: <gbacque@arcos.org>
><<http://web.arcos.org/gbacque>http://web.arcos.org/gbacque>
>
>Saturday, June 13, 1998
>
>To whom it may concern:
>
>I really fear for the safety of psychiatric survivors, homeless persons and
>other vulnerable members of the community as long as people like David Frum
>are allowed to continue spewing their misinformed opinions and blatant hatred
>through the mainstream media.

One thing I do agree with you on, Graeme, is that public policy cannot
be made on the statistical sampling of six individuals who happened to
be both violent and have been diagnosed with a mental health label at
the same time.  Coincidentally, given the large numbers of people with
mental health problems that exist, I am certain that a percentage of
them will be violent in character as well, but then again, so is a
percentage of the so-called "normal" population.  There is no scientific
evidence that having a so-called mental illness and being violent are
associated with one another.  I would suppose in a few months there will
be an addition to the DSM-IV (DSM-V????) that a new disorder called
"subway pushing syndrome" will come to light, and I suppose a few months
later, they will find a gene for it, etc.  Keep it up, this media stuff
has been relatively harsh on our folks lately.

Liberty
- liberty@vaxxine.com