Re: McIntosh Amendment: Nonprofit Alert

P. Myers (mpwr@u.washington.edu)
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:43:18 -0700 (PDT)

This is the second go-round for this particularly nasty bill.  I spent
hours on telephone trees and was for a time freaking out about how
non-profits were ignoring this very serious threat to, not just their
funding, but to their ability to do grassroots training in personal and
collective lobbying by individuals if they received any gov't. funding.

That was I think, a year or so ago.  Istook vowed, when his bill was
vetoed (our Rick White was on board with this)...he vowed to attach it to
every piece of paper that crossed the President's desk.

Thomas, thank you for the warning...this is one that needs immediate and
serious attention, because it will impact *all non-profits, regardless of
their level of consciousness or peer positionality, or awareness of
identity / choice / power needs...actually, *especially in such cases
where that awareness is strong and acted upon.

Call hotlines, President, etc.   This one really needs to go down in
flames!

Pat Myers

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Virginia Sellner wrote:

> One more reason to be glad that the Wyoming Coalition for the Homeless
> decided not to bother with ANY governmental funding -- city state or fed.
>
> Virginia

"To live dangerously is to live
in the Borderland, where desire,
justice and love meet."