Re: Humboldt CA: homeless sweeps on the rise (fwd)

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Fri, 05 Jun 1998 23:52:43 PDT

Daniel & Albert,

     It is my experience that throughout the 9 months I was homeless in
San Diego (2 1/2 of which was consistantly spent on the sidewalk), the
only times the Police conducted homeless sweeps were during political
election periods or when too many homeless camped out along the same
general business district block! A particular sweep that comes to mind,
is then one conducted by the SPD during the weekend Robert Dole came for
the Republican Convention at the Convention Center which was located on
the Mission Bay, many blocks away from
the bulk of the homeless sidewalk sleeping population. However, just as
Daniel described, they waited until the homeless were well off into "la
la" land before running up on them with those "brighter than San Diego's
Gas Lamp District" flashlights of theirs, and making them get up, pack
up, and move to higher ground, and thus further away from the "big wheel
politicians" who may visibly see them while they probably were out
looking for a blowjob or a crack hit during the wee hours of the night!
And of course as Albert commented on about the lack of shelter situation
in Hawaii, San Diego's Saint Vincent DePaul Village stays full, which is
why I desperately held on to my Bunk for 6 1/2
months. Nuff said!

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/?homeless
P.O. Box 514 Rich Square, NC 27869 (252)539-4228
<tedrico@hotmail.com>

-------

In ALT.SOCIETY.HOMELESS article
<Pine.BSI.3.96.980603175713.27448A-100000@malasada.lava.net>,