Info on Police Violence Wanted - Circulate please / Burch FWD

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 19:25:55 -0700 (PDT)

FWD

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:27:46 -0400
From: Brian Burch <burch@web.net>
Subject: Info on Police Violence Wanted---Circulate please.

	I am doing an article on police violence in Canada with a
deadline of July 20th.  The major focuses will be on the use of police
force to control dissent and ways activists collectively respond to this
violence. While I have some information, it would help give a more
comprehensive feel to it if I could get additional information from as
many people as possible.  To that end, I've prepared a few questions that
I'd appreciate having people answer and e-mail back to me by the 10th of
July at the latest.  Please circulate this to your friends and contacts
in the various activist communities.  Please note that for my purposes
political activity includes everything from a picket line at a workplace
to a sit-in at a hotel to a critical mass ride to leafletting
outside a embassy to participating in a blockade in support of a land
claim---the entire spectrum of public, peaceful protest during which
police violence may occur.  There is no time limit, although recent
examples are the most helpful.  As well, the violence had to have occured
in Canada.

Brian Burch
burch@tao.ca

PART 1---EXAMPLES OF POLICE VIOLENCE

Please answer in as much detail as possible.

1.	Have you been the target of police violence?

2.	What was the nature of the violence? (if more than once,
	please feel free to give details on them all)

3.	What political activity were you a part of when the violence
 	occured?

4.	What was your response to the violence?

5.	Has being a victim of police violence had an affect on your
	participation in political activity?  Please explain.

6.	Have you observed police violence against others?

7.	What was the nature of the violence?  (If more
	than once, please feel free to give details on them all.)

8.	What political activity was occurring when the violence occured?

9.	What was your response to the violence?

10.	Has observing police violence had an affect on your participation
	in political activity?  Please explain.

11.	If possible, provide examples of police violence and the use of
	force by police against protests and dissent have you been
	informed of by the mainstream media.

PART 2--- COMMUNITIES OF RESISTANCE

	I'd like the following to be answered by victims or direct
observers of police violence.  Again, please answer as fully as possible.

1.	Are you, or have you been, a part of a group of activists that
	has/had worked together for a period of at least two years?

2.	Does/did this group do things together beyond taking part in
	political actions?  Please give some examples.

3.	Did/does this community have a faith component?  Ideological
	common ground? Was it based on some other basis of affinity?

4.	Was this group supportive of you when you were dealing with
	police violence, both immediately and afterwards?  Please give
 	some examples.

5.	Have you continued to be politically active despite police violence?
  	Does/did being a part of a community provide encouragement
	to you continuing to be political action?   Please explain.

6.	If acceptable to you, please name the community/organization you
	were a part of.  If you have been part of more than one, please
	feel to list them all.

OTHER INFORMATION

	Is there else something dealing with police violence and/or
communities that you wish to share?

Thanks for your co-operation.

Brian Burch
burch@tao.ca

END FORWARD

HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn>
5,000+ POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people