SF Mayor W. Brown embraces workfare, denies work-equity

George J.P. Perry (geoperry@iww.org)
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:25:47 -0700 (PDT)

Mayor W. Brown, asked whether "equal pay for equal work" -- a slogan which
Brown accepts for gender -- ought to apply to "workfare"...

... replied to the effect that the work that the workers do is not work,
that the conditions of their "employment" is a "gift" from government,
that the workers do not deserve pay comparable to "regular" employees...

... and especially do not deserve union-representation... and he will not
recognise attempts to organise workfare-representation.

San Francisco, company-town.

Another group denied the right to organise comes to mind:  prisoners.

George Perry... "Juggler Vain's House of Dung", Frisco Liberation Radio

p.s... unaccustomed as I am to tempering my rants, W. Brown's remarks are
already months old; he may have adopted a new policy... I read the news,
though, and have read nothing to that effect