CANADA: Adolescent Homeless - P.S. re City of Victoria (fwd)

Leslie Schentag (wy497@victoria.tc.ca)
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 19:07:26 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 18:54:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Geneva Hagen <ws222@victoria.tc.ca>
To: "W. Robert Arnold" <wc515@victoria.tc.ca>,
Cc: Amnesty International <aiaction@amnesty-usa.org>,
    Times-Colonist <timesc@interlink.bc.ca>,
    Vancouver Province <provedpg@pacpress.southam.ca>,
    Vancouver Sun <sunletters@pacpress.southam.ca>,
    Stephen DeMeulenaere <shigeru@hokkai.or.jp>,
    Wally DuTemple <dutemple@islandnet.com>,
    Don Bohun <amicus@islandnet.com>, Glenn Schentag <gschentag@gddc.com>,
    magz@inreach.com
Subject: CANADA: Adolescent Homeless - P.S. re City of Victoria

	I was pleased to be copied Leslie Shentag's letter and the article
below it regarding what UNICEF's latest Progress of Nations Report has to
say about the plight of street kids in Canada.
	Many cities in the U.S. and Canada have been taking punitive
actions against the penniless and homeless which actions fly in the face
of any reasonable definition of a civilized society. Do the people who are
proposing stiff fines for panhandling or "street camping" have any real
comprehension of what the poor have to deal with? Let's put the situation
in perspective with a few statistics from the latest issue (July 9, 1998)
of Monday Magazine:

	City [of Victoria] Gives Big Raises to Managers

	- Top bureaucrats got huge pay increases last year.
	- The biggest raise went to a corporate service manager
	  whose pay jumped from $98,000 to $115,000.
	  Three other officials got $3,000 increases to $107,000.
	- In contrast, city union members got 1%.
	- The number of city staff paid $50,000 or more jumped by 10%
	  last year to 390, and their total pay increased by 11%.
	- But thanks to the cost-slashing at the bottom ranks,
	  the city's total salary bill increased by less than 2%.
	- Next year as many as 70 full-time jobs could be going.
	  Some city programs could be cut by as much as 17.5%.

	The article goes on to name names and salary figures; interested
parties can pick up a copy of Monday Magazine and read for themselves.
	The author, Russ Francis, says the city of Victoria is expecting
major financial shortfalls next year as a result of a variety of causes,
including high-interest debt service on money borrowed in the past, and
the fact that city taxes subsidize roads and other services related to
motor vehicles.  Which, in my opinion, are a far greater nuisance - or,
more accurately, hazard - to downtown pedestrians than the street people
are!
	When people at the top make bad decisions, it should not be the
people at the bottom who have to pay the price for it.  If the city of
Victoria has been getting more than its share of economic refugees from
other provinces, to the point where it can no longer provide services for
them all, it should seek financial assistance from the federal government
- not make up special by-laws to persecute the poor and homeless.

	Geneva Hagen
	Victoria, BC