AMICI's needed

rosaphil (rugosa@interport.net)
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 13:48:43 -0500 (EST)

+********** Snail me yer rosehips if you liked this post! ************
*Better Living Thru Better Living!* http://www.interport.net/~rugosa *

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:25:00 -0500
From: Elizabeth Knapp <eknapp@mhasp.org>
To: thekey@libertynet.org
Subject: thekey "amici"

"amici."
Dear Friends,
	This is a request for "amici."
	We are in the middle of writing an amicus curiae brief to submit to the
U.S. Supreme Court in Olmstead v. L.C. and E.W. The theme of the brief
is that freedom is better than not being free.
	I have interviewed three people who spent much of their lives in
institutions and now live successfully in the community, as well as
advocates for two other people and the mother of a sixth person. The
brief will describe their lives in the institutions and contrast them
with their much better lives in the community. In addition, I have
interviewed Dr. William A. Anthony of the Center for Psychiatric
Rehabilitation, who gives an expert opinion that people should live in
the community, not in institutions.
	Because we are so near deadline, we are seeking consumer/survivor
organizations and/or individual consumer/survivors who would like to
sign on to the brief as "amici" -- that is, friends. If you would like
your group or yourself to be included, please e-mail me with the name,
address and phone number of your group or organization and a brief
paragraph describing it. If you are an individual, please include a
paragraph with enough of your "story" so that the court understands why
you have an interest in this case.
	Thanks!
Susan Rogers, National Mental Health Consumers' Self-Help Clearinghouse
<srogers@mhasp.org>