Re: Minorities more likely to do TIME

Judy Olsen (wholepie@speakeasy.org)
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:34:31 -0800


--------------754749132AADAAD94D13D921
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; x-mac-type="54455854"; x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Sorry, Mike, but I disagree with you.  Even if every single citizen who
could vote did vote, nothing would be changed.  Why?  Because the
candidates suck.  Once in a blue moon there is a good one, but most of
the time  we have to decide which candidate is the least evil.

I suspect that people who would make really good candidates (Jim
Hightower in Austin, Texas, for one) just don't want the crap that comes
with running for office, much less the crap that comes with performing
your official duties of office.  Jim Hightower was the best Agriculture
Commissioner the state of Texas has ever seen.  But he swears he will
never run for office again because of the stress and physical exhaustion
of holding office.  Before Disney fired him for being too lefty, we used
to be able to listen to him on the radio here in Seattle.  Now I have to
go to his web site to hear him "Chat & Chew."

And let's don't forget how expensive it is just to run for office.  The
only people who can afford to run are Republicans or right-wing
Democrats like President Clinton.

For the whole damn pie,
Judy O
Seattle, WA


Mike Steindel wrote:

> Well Graeme as much as I agree with you I do not see any other
> alternative than voting for change. I doubt that many people want to
> stand in the streets hurling rocks at federal troops. The problem has
> been apathy all along. Things don't change with voting because to few
> people vote. They have this attitude that even if they do vote nothing
> will happen, so they stay home and guess what there worst fears become
> reality. But if they had all gone and voted things could have changed.
> Defeatest attitudes only promote Defeat...The only statement that
> staying home makes is "I'm Satisfied with things as they are" at least
> in the eyes of those in control. On the other hand if you are
> enlisting
> troops for a revolutionary army good luck cause if you can't motivate
> people to vote do you really belive they will fight... mike
>
>
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> November Coalition Forum
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Subject: Re: Minorities more likely to do TIME
> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:10:49 -0500
> From: Graeme Bacque <gbacque@idirect.com>
> To: HPN <hpn@aspin.asu.edu>
> References: <3565-36C779E0-1182@mailtod-161.iap.bryant.webtv.net>
>
> Mike Steindel wrote:
>
>> I just saw this again...Whats the deal with all these studies that
>> always come to the same conclusion. Instead of studying the problem
>> why
>> is it nothing is ever done to correct the wrong...It is wrong to
>> treat
>> drug use with JAIL...I think these things have been studied to death
>> its
>> time to learn from our studies....People without money go to JAIL.
>> Non
>> whites go to JAIL more often. Non whites without money always go to
>> JAIL, Guilty or Innocent....Those are what the results of almost all
>> the
>> studies have always found...Lets stop funding the studies and change
>>
>> things for the better... Learn how you can register to vote... Go to
>>
>> www.fec.gov  because other than revolution "which is not gonna
>> happen"
>> its the best way to make a difference....Here is the study....
>>
> If voting is such a powerful tool for change, than how do you explain
> the nightmare scenario brought about by better than 220 years of
> 'ballot-box democracy' where every four years you get to mark an 'x'
> beside the name of the shyster/thief/mass killer/sexfiend/ego-freak of
> your choice, but are legally deprived of _any_ control over their
> actions for the ensuing four years?
> If voting is so wonderful then howcum 'elected representatives' can
> commit or oversee massive crimes against humanity for the entire
> length of their mandate, yet face no penalty afterwards aside from
> possible removal from office come the next ballot?
> The ballot-box system was created not to foster citizen involvement in
> decision-making, but as a deliberate means of _preventing_ it. As long
> as people continue to buy this illusion of 'democracy':  and until
> people wise up and reclaim their natural, inalienable right to forge
> their own individual and collective destinies without having to rely
> on some 'representative' with an agenda (whether elected or otherwise)
> then none of us will be free.
> Ditch the politicians! Take back your power!
>
> --
> ----------------------------------------------------
> Graeme Bacque
> <http://webhome.idirect.com/~gbacque/gbacque.html>
> ****************************************************
> +++ Fighting 'mad' and proud of it! +++
> ----------------------------------------------------
>

--------------754749132AADAAD94D13D921
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
Sorry, Mike, but I disagree with you.  Even if every single citizen who could vote did vote, nothing would be changed.  Why?  Because the candidates suck.  Once in a blue moon there is a good one, but most of the time  we have to decide which candidate is the least evil.

I suspect that people who would make really good candidates (Jim Hightower in Austin, Texas, for one) just don't want the crap that comes with running for office, much less the crap that comes with performing your official duties of office.  Jim Hightower was the best Agriculture Commissioner the state of Texas has ever seen.  But he swears he will never run for office again because of the stress and physical exhaustion of holding office.  Before Disney fired him for being too lefty, we used to be able to listen to him on the radio here in Seattle.  Now I have to go to his web site to hear him "Chat & Chew."

And let's don't forget how expensive it is just to run for office.  The only people who can afford to run are Republicans or right-wing Democrats like President Clinton.

For the whole damn pie,
Judy O
Seattle, WA
 

Mike Steindel wrote:

Well Graeme as much as I agree with you I do not see any other
alternative than voting for change. I doubt that many people want to
stand in the streets hurling rocks at federal troops. The problem has
been apathy all along. Things don't change with voting because to few
people vote. They have this attitude that even if they do vote nothing
will happen, so they stay home and guess what there worst fears become
reality. But if they had all gone and voted things could have changed.
Defeatest attitudes only promote Defeat...The only statement that
staying home makes is "I'm Satisfied with things as they are" at least
in the eyes of those in control. On the other hand if you are enlisting
troops for a revolutionary army good luck cause if you can't motivate
people to vote do you really belive they will fight... mike


November Coalition Forum

Subject: Re: Minorities more likely to do TIME
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 21:10:49 -0500
From: Graeme Bacque <gbacque@idirect.com>
To: HPN <hpn@aspin.asu.edu>
References: <3565-36C779E0-1182@mailtod-161.iap.bryant.webtv.net>

Mike Steindel wrote:

I just saw this again...Whats the deal with all these studies that
always come to the same conclusion. Instead of studying the problem why
is it nothing is ever done to correct the wrong...It is wrong to treat
drug use with JAIL...I think these things have been studied to death its
time to learn from our studies....People without money go to JAIL. Non
whites go to JAIL more often. Non whites without money always go to
JAIL, Guilty or Innocent....Those are what the results of almost all the
studies have always found...Lets stop funding the studies and change
things for the better... Learn how you can register to vote... Go to
www.fec.gov  because other than revolution "which is not gonna happen"
its the best way to make a difference....Here is the study....
If voting is such a powerful tool for change, than how do you explain the nightmare scenario brought about by better than 220 years of 'ballot-box democracy' where every four years you get to mark an 'x' beside the name of the shyster/thief/mass killer/sexfiend/ego-freak of your choice, but are legally deprived of _any_ control over their actions for the ensuing four years?
If voting is so wonderful then howcum 'elected representatives' can commit or oversee massive crimes against humanity for the entire length of their mandate, yet face no penalty afterwards aside from possible removal from office come the next ballot?
The ballot-box system was created not to foster citizen involvement in decision-making, but as a deliberate means of _preventing_ it. As long as people continue to buy this illusion of 'democracy':  and until people wise up and reclaim their natural, inalienable right to forge their own individual and collective destinies without having to rely on some 'representative' with an agenda (whether elected or otherwise) then none of us will be free.
Ditch the politicians! Take back your power!

--
----------------------------------------------------
Graeme Bacque
<http://webhome.idirect.com/~gbacque/gbacque.html>
****************************************************
+++ Fighting 'mad' and proud of it! +++
----------------------------------------------------
 


--------------754749132AADAAD94D13D921--