Re: Fw: Article on EITC for the Homeless

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 23:00:41 PST

Mark,

(1) Do you find that the homeless in your state or locality are unable
to access EITC, and if so, have you been able to address the problem?

I don't know about my state because I've been away for so long, however
in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Arizona I know from personal
experience that the homeless are unable to access EITC! I worked for
Peak Load, Advanced Labor, Labor Finders, and Pacesetter Personnel ( all
Day Labor halls) and the closest thing I saw of my EITC was the infamous
'DRAW'!

(2) Do you believe the IRS could do more to get the word out about EITC
for the homeless, as well as people who are nearly homeless?  Do you
presently partner with the IRS and others to get the word out to the
homeless about EITC and do you have a program in place for doing this?

I'm all for spreading the knowledge to the homeless and nearly homeless,
but I don't think IRS wants to. After all they'd loose millions of hard
earned income tax credit generated annually by their #1 cash crop .....
We the homeless!

(3)  What do you see the homeless using EITC for in your state or
locality--housing, clothing, food, etc.?

In my locality .... Drugs! Throughout the state, I'd say probably, the
basics .... Shelter, Food, Garments, and Utility Payments! I hope this
has helped you and would like to know if you'd like to be notified via
Email, each time Tedrico's Page: Homeless Resource Links website is
updated? Nuff said!

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

_________________________
TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://members.metrocity.net/Alternative/tedrico/homepage.html
[mailto: tedrico@hotmail.com ]

>From owner-homeless@csf.colorado.edu Mon Feb 23 19:08:09 1998
>Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:49:20 -0600
>Sender: owner-homeless@csf.colorado.edu
>From: "H. C. Covington" <ach1@sprynet.com>
>To: HOMELESS DISCUSSION LIST <homeless@csf.colorado.edu>
>Subject: Fw: Article on EITC for the Homeless
>

>H. C. Sonny Covington  +AEA-  I CAN+ACE- America
>427 St. John Street - Lafayette, LA  70501
>(318) 235-7005  Fax 318-234-0953

Credit
>Program because they lack permanent addresses, don't know about EITC or
>have
>difficulty getting W2 forms.  (You can get more information by calling
>Laura
>Weir at the center, 202/638-2525).  The center says if more homeless
could
>access EITC, they'd have more money to pay security deposits and
>first-month
>rent on apartments and meet other basic needs.  A major problem, the
center
>says, is the Internal Revenue Service hasn't made enough effort at
outreach
>the homeless about EITC.
>
>I'm hoping you will take a moment to answer the questions below as part
of
>an
>e-mail survey I'm doing of homeless agencies and service providers:
>
>(1) Do you find that the homeless in your state or locality are unable
>access EITC, and if so, have you been able to address the problem?
>
>(2) Do you believe the IRS could do more to get the word out about EITC
for
>the homeless, as well as people who are nearly homeless?  Do you
presently
>partner with the IRS and others to get the word out to the homeless
about
>EITC
>and do you have a program in place for doing this?
>
>(3)  What do you see the homeless using EITC for in your state or
>locality--housing, clothing, food, etc.?
>
>You can respond directly to me by e-mail at:
>
>                                              MKuhn12055+AEA-aol.com.
>
>Or, you can call me at my office at 301/588-6380, fax 301/588-6385.
>
>If you would like more information about the newsletter or the
publisher,
>CD
>Publications, check out our Website at:
>http://www.cdpublications.com/cdpubs.
>The address of the publisher is CD Publications, 8204 Fenton St.,
Silver
>Spring, MD 20910.
>Generally, CD Digest has been published for more than 25 years and is
most
>well known for its coverage of the Dept. of Housing +ACY- Urban
Development,
>although the newsletter also covers other federal departments and
Congress.