"Creating Democracy, Opposing Corporate Rule" Vancouver Feb 7-8

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 14:58:47 -0800 (PST)

* CREATING DEMOCRACY *   FEB 7-8 98
A Community Gathering Challenging Corporate Rule
VANCOUVER: Carnegie Center, Main and Hastings

Saturday, February 7th, 11am to 6pm
Sunday,   February 8th  10am to 1pm
__________
FWD
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 06:35:32 -0800 (PST)
From: The Vancouver International of Hope <enough@vcn.bc.ca>
Subject: Workshop full of promise
To: enough@vcn.bc.ca

[Vancouver, Coast Salish Territory
February 3rd, 1998
Please post and forward widely]

Just a *final* reminder that the "Creating Democracy, Opposing Corporate
Rule" community gathering will be happening this Saturday the 7th and
Sunday the 8th.

On the 7th, there will be workshops on Housing, Squatting and Guerilla
Gardening, Alternative Health Options and an Update on the Situation in
Chiapas, Mexico. The afternoon workshops are on Police Brutality in the
Downtown Eastside, the Multilateral Agreement on Investment (MAI) and the
Politics of Hemp.  Events begin at 11am at the Carnegie Center which is at
Main and Hastings. Workshops will be taking place in the auditorium and
the rooms on the third floor.

Sunday will be an opportunity for an extended discussion. We will be
meeting in the auditorium of the Carnegie Center between 10am to 1pm to
discuss action ideas, popular democracy and the idea of parallel
governance.

There will be childcare available and vegetarian and vegan food will be
served. The Carnegie Center is wheelchair accessible. Anyone interested in
confronting corporate rule is welcome to attend all or part of this
gathering. Phone 251-9914 or e-mail enough@vcn.bc.ca for more information.

What follows is a very complimentary letter written to the Long Haul, End
Legislated Poverty's (ELP) monthly newspaper which is widely available in
East Van. It describes the last gathering put on by the International of
Hope in October. The International of Hope, for those who don't know, is
"a Zapatista-inspired gathering of local activists resisting corporate
rule and creatively building alternatives. See you at the encuentro.

-- JBS