Re: Single Mom Overcomes Tough Times FWD

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Sun, 01 Feb 1998 23:17:02 PST

Tom,
     That story really shows what a helping hand can do for an
individual in need.  And from my personal experience, CA has helped me
a time or two when I was homeless, living in the Central Arizona Shelter
Service (CASS), working two day labor agencies (PEAKLOAD & ADVANCED),
and giving every dime of my earnings to the Madison St. Mexicans yelling
"Coca, Chiva, Multa" all day.  When it was time to eat, if the Andre
House or St. Vinnies were closed, I was up sh#@t's creek.  One day I was
starved and had cotton mouth on top of that.  So I found the local
Catholic Charities and they hooked me up with a gang of food and some
Church's Fried Chicken vouchers, which I used at a nearby one on Grand
St. They also have, assisted me on a rent payment, when I was living in
a $75 a week motel room in Hattiesburg, MS.  That's why I feel so
compelled to offer
access to all the resources I know of personally, as well as those I
learn about each day, on my Tedrico's Page web site.  You can't beat the
feeling that engulfs you when an individual or an organization extends
that helping hand when you need it the most.  Thank you for putting that
one into circulation Tom, because that made my night :).  And speaking
of helping hands, I want all you HPN'ers to visit Tedrico's Page & post
to my discussion board, all of your knowledge and criticisms of the
shelters, food handout lines, & soup kitchens that you may have partook
of when you were homeless. Nuff said!

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

_________________________
TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://members.metrocity.net/Alternative/tedrico/homepage.html
Education, Shelter, and Food Assistance for the Homeless!
[mailto: tedrico@hotmail.com ]

>From hpn-owner@aspin.asu.edu Sun Feb  1 18:17:59 1998
>Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 18:15:21 -0800 (PST)
>To: HPN@aspin.asu.edu
>From: Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net>
>Subject: Single Mom Overcomes Tough Times  FWD
>Sender: owner-hpn@aspin.asu.edu
>
>FWD Feb 1, 1998 from Catholic Charities, Diocese of Santa Rosa, CA
>
>SINGLE MOM OVERCOMES TOUGH TIMES
>
>Diane Penserini is a survivor.
>
>Born and raised in Napa by a strict pair of second-generation Italian
>parents, Diane grew up in a home with few freedoms. When she left her
>parents to marry, she discovered the man she thought she knew and loved
>abused drugs. He also
>physically abused her.
>
>"One day when my daughter was 5 she asked me, 'Mommy, is Daddy coming
home
>tonight?' I told her yes. Then she said, 'But I don't want Daddy to
come
>home.'"
>That's when Diane knew she had to leave.
>
>Without the benefit of child support, Diane raised her two daughters
and
>son. When she needed to work two jobs to pay their bills, she did. She
>focused on her one priority in life: the well- being of her children.
>
>She successfully supported her family until the unexpected happened:
One of her
>daughters suffered a ruptured spleen, and incurred $65,000 in medical
expenses.
>Unable to meet all of their expenses, Diane briefly considered filing
for
>bankruptcy. As she was frantically trying to satisfy her creditors, a
bank
>foreclosed on her home.
>
>Diane moved her family into a rental with an option to buy. She had
just
>replaced the flooring and repaired the walls when a bank foreclosed on
the
>owner.
>
>"That's when I completely fell apart," Diane says. "Everything went
bad.
>... I was a woman alone in my late 40s with three teens to support."
>
>To afford the first and last months' rent and deposit on another
rental,
>Diane sold her car. But she was unable to keep up with the rent, and
was
>forced to move again.
>
>She relocated her family five times that year.
>
>Then one day Diane saw an ad for Catholic Charities' Shared Housing
Exchange in