Re: my response to the homeless discussion list

Wandering Bear (wandering_bear@hotmail.com)
Sun, 01 Feb 1998 14:20:15 PST

 I find that when people attack individual activist their acually
attacking the movement that their active in.It is alot easyer to bring
down an individual then a whole group.
 Why would a person attack the homeless movement.Because they dont want
to take any kind of responsibility for the people their greed has
hurt.So when your attacked for your stand on the homeless rights issue
remember its not just you their attacking.And their reasons for
attacking is genrerally greed for power or money.
Peace Love and Light:)
Wandering Bear

> [...]
>
>What I say are, therefore, functions of my experience only, and the
>extent to which they may be generalized is left to the freedom and
>intelligence of the individual reader, whom I trust to be able to
>read and recognize honesty when s/he sees it.
>
>While I don't want to take part in a struggle with the idea of
>legitimacy where experiencing and remembering the pain and terror of
>homelessness is concerned, I would like to at least offer my own
>perspective.  Daniel may,then come in and rip it to shreds, although I
>don't know why he has decided on this ongoing, and on occasion,
personal,
>attack and attempt to discredit.
>
>I *am a middle-aged graduate student at the University of Washington,
in
>Seattle, WA....Daniel is correct in this...although, of the three
>mentioned, only my age was shared...as part of my hpn and csf bios, I
>shared this freely.  Nothing to hide, but I can't believe it's
inclusion
>wasn't meant to hurt...or perhaps to spark some anger...
>
>I was homeless in my mid and late 20's...on three occasions:  twice,
>alone, and once with a friend, in a car, and pregnant.  Each time, I
was
>terrified, exhausted; embarrassed; aware of social shame, and felt
>hopeless to change my circumstances.  Sheer good luck and friends ended
>each period of homelessness.
>
>I think I am now what is referred to as "marginally homed"...?  My
house
>(a rental, in total disrepair) has, at least a roof (leaking in at
least
>5 places, with the ceiling threatening collapse in 3) and a
floor...soft
>and threatening to give way in several places!
>
>2 of 8 baseboard heaters work...in cold Seattle winters, I rely
>on electric blanket and a space heater close by.
>
>Rent is in arrears for some months...I thank God for an understanding
>landlady (although the understanding does not extend to making the
>necessary repairs on the house)...I still fear, as does anyone who has
>ever been homeless, a repeat of the experience.  I am too embarrassed
>share more about this house...I will just say that I do not have many
>visitors.
>
>I attend school on loans and grants, and bus some 4 hours round trip to
>and from classes.  In this, I am blessed, although at my age, whether
>even a graduate degree will lead to a job after, is problematic.
>
>I post to HPN as often as I can, but more often than not, read, only...
>there have been interesting threads over the past 6 months, and, having
>found *my voice on this list, I enjoy reading, as others do the same.
>Many on hpn are far more articulate than I, and I have learned much
from
>reading them.
>
>I don't know what Daniel means when he says I de facto moderate with
Tom
>and Virginia...unless Daniel can come forth with clear quotes and
>examples, I can't really respond to what seems to be another attack
>without merit.  Of course, "de facto moderation"  would be ad hoc, no?
>I assume Daniel is saying that I write in a way that tends to silence
>others.  If that is the case, I expect I will hear from some of those
>others eventually...as yet, I have not, and I've been a member for some
>time.
>
>(Btw, HPN members are a feisty group, we!  I have been flamed, torched,
>ridiculed and challenged...but always my *ideas were at issue...not my
>person, or my style of writing, or my life...HPN offers an opportunity
>to speak to *many issues that involve homelessness and
marginalization...