Fw: PRESIDENT CLINTON ANNOUNCES $900 MILLION IN HOMELESS ASSISTANCE TODAY

William Tinker (wtinker@fcgnetworks.net)
Sat, 25 Dec 1999 14:01:38 -0500

12-25-99
Hi,
>From all out wards appearances New Hampshire got less funding then it has in
the past for homeless programs..And it also appears all the other 49 states
did also..Why?

Could some one explain to me and other homeless advocates why this has
happened?
But after looking over the other states no one got any increases,this is
sad...

I guess my friend [was right that was declared legally insane 25 years ago
but not harmfull towards himself or public]told the truth when he said that
state and federal governments expected or knew with out financial assistance
that  X number of homeless and poor persons will have to die to equal out
the population quota,I took it with a grain of salt years ago, but the more
I look around the more I realize he was not as crazy as he was diagnosed!

Truth is stranger than fiction and I having witnessed the way things and the
way the world are  today and have to say he may have seemed delusional but I
fear he was correct in respect to the poor and disabled  populations !!!!!

I hope that the budget that was alloted is more flexible than the actual
numbers that have been sent to each state, and  pray that my friend is not
right on about his prophecy[opinion] about our governments both state and
federal!

Has any one else noticed that the conspiracy theory is still alive and
raising its ugly head ?Or am I just looking for things that are not there?

Vice President Gore your campaignupdate@algore.com  is connected to
NHHomeless@egroups.com could you please answer some of us advocates
questions  in regards to why there was such dramatic cuts across all 50
states?

I am sure that you can tell us why we should not fear for our brothers and
sisters health and lives,or our own, with such huge cuts in the funding for
N.H. and other states also?

Thanking you all for bearing with me on this...We need some real answers
here folks .

"A Brother In Strife And In Peace"  Bill Tinker

Subject: PRESIDENT CLINTON ANNOUNCES $900 MILLION IN HOMELESS ASSISTANCE
TODAY

> [...]
more
> than 350 communities, all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico
and
> American territories. In addition, more than 1,000 non-profit
organizations such
> as the Salvation Army, Volunteers of America and Catholic Charities will
receive
> funding for homeless assistance programs.
>
> "Here at home we are reaching out to the poor - to those who do not yet
share in
> America's growing prosperity," the President said. "We are making new
efforts to
> reach out to the homeless - to help them find housing, medical care and
jobs."

> HUD Secretary Andrew Cuomo said: "The tragedy of homelessness can be
reversed,
> one person at a time, when we give homeless people the opportunity to turn
their
> lives around. Our programs have a proven record of success that we will
build on
> with the grants we're awarding today."
>
> A total of $750 million of the HUD assistance announced today is targeted
> 1,834 long-term programs to help individuals and families permanently end
their
> homeless status, as part of HUD's Continuum of Care approach to addressing
> homelessness. These competitive grants are awarded to states, local
governments
> and non-profit groups based on a number of factors that measure the
> effectiveness of their plans.
>
> The remaining $150 million in funds are for Emergency Shelter Grants that
> provide food and shelter on a short-term basis to homeless people. These
grants
> are awarded through a formula based on a community's housing and poverty
needs.
> States and cities select projects to receive funding.
>
> In addition, HUD is advancing nearly $8 million in funds from next year's
> homeless grants to renew funding for supportive housing programs in 35
> communities to enable them to continue operations.
>
> President Clinton successfully won approval of increased funding for
homeless
> assistance programs to $1.02 billion in his fiscal 1999 budget, up from
$975
> million the previous year.
>
> HUD has invested nearly $5 billion in programs to help homeless Americans
since
> President Clinton took office in 1993. That's more than three times as
much as
> the $1.5 billion HUD spent on homeless assistance programs from the time
they
> were created in 1987 until 1993.
>
> Earlier this month, HUD released the most comprehensive study to date of
> homelessness, The Forgotten Americans - Homelessness: Programs and People
They
> Serve. The landmark study reported that most people who become homeless
have
> suffered severe hardships - including physical and sexual abuse, childhood
> trauma, poverty, a poor education, disability and disease - but are
successful
> in escaping homelessness when they get help from federal and other
programs.

> The report said the top priority of homeless people it surveyed was to get
> job - the first step to self-sufficiency. It said 44% of homeless people
> surveyed worked at least part-time during the past month.
>
> The study also said that when homeless people get housing assistance and
needed
> services - such as health care, substance abuse treatment, mental health
> services, education and job training - 76% of those living in families and
60%
> of those living alone end their homeless status and move to an improved
living
> situation after completion of the assistance program.
>
> The report is based on interviews completed in 1996 with 4,207 people -
most
> homeless at the time and the rest of them people living in poverty who
benefit
> from homeless assistance programs such as soup kitchens. The study is also
based
> on interviews with representatives of 11,909 programs that serve homeless
> people. Interviews were conducted in 76 metropolitan areas, small cities
and
> rural areas. The U.S. Census Bureau collected the data and the report was
> prepared by the Urban Institute.
>
> HUD's Continuum of Care initiative, which was developed by Cuomo when he
was an
> Assistant Secretary at HUD, is the centerpiece of the federal policy on
> homelessness.
>
> Recently the Continuum of Care program received the prestigious
Innovations in
> American Government Award from Harvard University's Kennedy School of
Government
> and the Ford Foundation for its broad-based approach to helping homeless
people
> take control of their lives, reunite with their families, and become
productive
> members of society.
>
> Cuomo said the Continuum of Care approach has been successful because it
brings
> together non-profit groups, the private sector and local and state
governments
> in a partnership to design local programs to help homeless people become
> self-sufficient.
>
> The CBS television network and local TV stations around the nation this
week
> began airing public service announcements developed for HUD that focus
attention
> on homeless people. The following actors have already taped public service
> announcements (PSAs): William Baldwin, Whoopi Goldberg, Roma Downey, Kevin
> Kline, Sarah Jessica Parker, Glenn Close, Ted Danson, Ray Romano, Nathan
Lane,
> and Matthew Broderick. In addition, former New York City Mayor David
Dinkins,
> Miss America Heather French, boxing announcer Roy Jones, Jr., and model
Heidi
> Klum have taped PSAs. Actors Marisa Tomei, Rosie O'Donnell, and James
Gandolfini
> plan to tape PSAs, as does model Christie Brinkley.
>
> The HUD campaign to increase public awareness of homelessness is called
Put a