Re: ALERT: LA Food Not Bombs ARRESTED [Sailor reply to Dan

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 20:38:04 -0800 (PST)

NOTE please that Reply below was written by "Sailor" [& not by me, Tom Boland].

FWD   21 Dec 1999 Non-member submission to HPN & FNB lists
From: "Saolor" <X989@aol.com>

Subject: Re: ALERT: LA Food Not Bombs ARRESTED - 2 press releases - please
repost  FWD

[Dan DiPasquo] dipasquo@ISI.EDU (Dan) writes:

"Our goal is to end hunger and homelessness, and poverty for
those with places to live.  To do this, you have to do a lot more than feed
people.  While we acknowledge there are a lot of incredible groups in LA
with the goal of feeding and housing the poor, that has never been our
stated goal."

[Sailor replies:]

Please forgive my ignorance, it was perhaps presumptuous to assume a group
which calls itself Food not Bombs would be primarily concerned with feeding
hungry people.  Perhaps you should consider a name for your organization
which more closely identifies your goals, might I suggest Politics for
Humanity.  That would seem more akin to the groups you are working with, the
ACLU, the Coalition to End Hunger and Homelessness.

I have in the past worked with your group (Seattle branch FNB)
but the emphasis of the group at the time I worked with them was providing
food not political controversy.  Presently, I volunteer time to cook at the
Salvation Army, have considered working with Food not Bombs, but since my own
personal concern is more directly related to the hunger relief, I thank you
for explaining that that is not your "stated goal".  Good luck to you in your
political endeavors, when you get hungry, go to the Union Rescue Mission
where my friend Jimmy will feed you well. Again, thanks for clueing us all
that you prime function is not feeding the hungry.-------------- Sailor

END FORWARD