[Fwd: NYC Mayor Giuliani's "Safe Streets" address on 21 Nov 1999 FWD]

unclescam (unclescam@buskers.org)
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:56:48 -0500

--------------61F1A964823775DD951A75A1

Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:55:01 -0500
From: unclescam <unclescam@buskers.org>
To: Graeme Bacque <gbacque@idirect.com>
Subject: Re: NYC Mayor Giuliani's "Safe Streets" address on 21 Nov 1999 FWD

vitriolic spuming  is much on the agenda of the haters. read the speech
again and understand the role of the courts here. they have shut down much
of his plan for the nonce. we all agree that there is a need to find some
warm place for the dispossesed to be. we all agree that the streets and
alleys are bad for our health which is why we seek housing. his means seem
hard to those of us with the mind to understand the paternalistic bent.where
are the options ? i live and work beside folk that haven't the mind to come
out of the cold. i have offered shelter and been ignored by those too over
the bend to understand the offer. i've wanted to grab them and shake them
and demand they come in out of the weather, and am i a better man because i
let them have their way lying in the snow freezing,knowing i could warm them
if they could understand ? the streets of any civilzation are not the place
to sleep at 30 below. what is the alternative. ?
  castigate one who believes it is better to demand that you not freeze to
death on his watch ? he wasn't elected to watch you die when he has the
power, perhaps he over plays his hand constitutionaly, to save even one
wretch. come on, solutions not denigration of an attempt is more worty of
all.