Re: NYC Tough Love homeless policy: Will it work? FWD

Tom Musselwhite (hac@efn.org)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 23:24:29 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Boland <wgcp@earthlink.net>
To: HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK list <HPN@aspin.asu.edu>
Sent: Monday, December 13, 1999 8:17 PM
Subject: NYC Tough Love homeless policy: Will it work? FWD

> What do recovering addicts think of NYC's homeless policy?

Tom,
Let's step back from the reactionary mode for a minute.

For me the questions are more along the lines of:  1)  How do you get the
"resources" to the people in most dire need of life sustaining basics like
adequate food/nutrition and protection from cold, rain, etc in a context
that puts most of the responsibility (and consequences) for their own
situation into the hands of the persons with the need?  To h____ with
Googoolini,  Googoolini don't require work; life requires work.  And 2)
Perhaps provide those resources in a "service enriched" environmnt where
potential dysfuntions, particularly affecting children, can be observed, and
whether causes are emotional/psychological, substance abuse/addiction
related, or domestic abuse/violence related subsequent intervention can
occur to route "troubled" people/parents and/or kids to specific programs
that address those needs.  My goal would be to keep family units intact and
place as few encumberances upon aid recipients as possible.  Aid recipeints
will have to be able to believe that they can improve their situation
through their own efforts.  This really comes back to the sustainable
communities / lifestyles issues we have talked about, yes?

The bigger forces (issues) are not "in the victims", the greater issues are
national/international drug policy (the War on Drugs), fair taxation, and
equitable access to health care and affordable housing within the context of
a sustainable situation.