Re: sustainable communities - no want, no war, nobosses

cblue@mindspring.com
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:20:01 -0500

Your post is inspiring to me Tom!! I was given my eviction and my salvation
from an apt i didn't like anyway, and a lord who definitely does not have
any compassion.
I have posted before about my work with Ending Homeless with Vision in
Action. Our group is soon to be incorporated with Citiworks, in NYC.
Citiworks is a collective of small organizations that empower the city for
the greater good of all.
My counterpart in the group can give you more info as I have only sat in on
my first meeting last week.
As for me, well I don't drive either. I'm the product of a New York Jewish
family with strong roots here. And mom's side is  from a Southern quiet
manufacturing family.
When growing up in Brooklyn, i ddn't know the meaning of wealth. Frankly,
our little 2.5 rooms could barely hold 2 parents and me and my sister.
I felt very emotional about what went on at home and still have issues about
home, about security and safety.  Maybe they taught me things about being
poor, about working early in life, and about just getting by or leaving hard
work to those that could want to do it.  Living in NYC for them didn't faze
their spirits.
Or were they ignorant, fearflul? I went further in schooling than they ever
did, but i faced the same lessons they did about money. Sure, dad worked in
jobs for years at a time.  He doesn't know how hard it can be to find or
even keep a job. I had to move to learn a lot of lessons about being secure
in the outer world..
There are inner resources too of course.  These ideals can be learned and
recognized. part of that work has come from self help and through some much
needed healing of my past.  I want to assist in making the difference for
NYC as well as here in NJ and other places where the reality of homelessness
is too much to bear.
Keep the faith, and be vigilant in thought.
Dan Herman
cblue@mindspring.com