Re: Letter to Seattle Mayor Paul Schell

Graeme Addison (graemea@intekom.co.za)
Tue, 07 Dec 1999 13:49:25 +0200

South Africans watched the events in Seattle unfold with a sense of deja vu. Not
only do many of us remember the 1950s and sixties which, in this country, were
times of harsh police repression (no peace, flowers, freedom and happiness here!)
but we have witnessed massive street demonstrations in recent memory. As the
culture of human rights developed here, police became more savvy about handling
demos, but never to the point where they showed real respect for the rights of the
protestors. We still see major human rights violations.
Graeme Bacque's excellent letter to the Mayor of Seattle deserves to be answered -
and the homeless people's group should keep up the pressure until it is!

--
Graeme Addison
Writer * Researcher * Trainer