Re: WTO - ACLU SEEKS REPORTS ON POLICE MISCONDUCT http://www.aclu-wa.org

emily cragg (mecragg@erols.com)
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:05:03 -0800

>From NYTimes Forums

THere are excerpts from an interview with Dr. Deandrea. He had come from Los
Angeles to Seattle to participate in the protest and ended up taking care of
the injured:

etrate. But I did see penetration wounds, I did see people bleeding. I did
see teeth loss, I did see broken bones. There were children present, there
were families present, they were firing upon families, mothers,
grandmothers,. They were just firing at them. They came out in full police
force. It was very obvious that there was an institutional control that had
no regard of human rights whatever... They were shooting tear gas canisters
directly at protesters' faces. [Regarding the plastic, bullets, here is]
some of the damage I saw: these plastic bullets took off part of one
person's jaw, smashed teeth in other people's mouths. We're treating people
in a studio loft downtown. I just treated an ear wound. People have been
treated for concussion injuries. There have been people who have been
treated for plastic bullet wounds. Lots of tear gas injuries, lots of damage
to cornea, lots of damage to the eyes and skins. They were using a pepper
spray, a tear gas and they were also using some sort of nerve gas. We had
reports of many demonstrators winding up with seizures the next day. It
causes muscles to clamp up, muscle contraction, seizures. They have done
several illegal things regarding these people in jail. They have been
telling them that they would not be let out, not have their bail set if they
didn't give their names. [Note: protesters have refused to give their names
on the grounds that they do not have to speak unless they have a lawyer
present.] It's their legal right not to give their name. They don't have to
speak at all. Attorneys came up and said we are representing these people;
the police called [them] ...liars. At this point they have still refused to
let any of ...[the attorneys] see their clients.