Re: ALERT: NYC homeless plan draws fire at Council: RALLY

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@idirect.com)
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 00:23:43 -0500

At 09:07 PM 12/04/1999 -0800, you wrote:

>The homeless policy has attracted national attention because of
>a provision stipulating that if able-bodied, mentally stable
>homeless parents refuse to work, the city can take away their
>children, place them in foster care and refuse the adults shelter.
>
>The plan is coupled with a recent police crackdown on the
>homeless after a woman on a busy Manhattan street was seriously
>injured by a brick thrown by a man originally believed to be
>homeless.

Taking these two policies in tandem, I gather that once families have been
denied shelter and their kids taken away, the adults can then be summarily
arrested for 'quality of life' violations.

Time perhaps to start developing an underground network to defend and
shield these vulnerable families _before_ this ruthless net of entrapment
has opportunity to encircle them?

--
Graeme
ICQ #53515294