You wouldn't believe...more fun emails from COH-SF

Coalition on Homelessness, SF (coh@sfo.com)
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 17:33:09 -0800

HOMELESS PEOPLE'S VIEWS, News, Alerts, Actions & Research
6,000+ ONLINE POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people
HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn
I'm stumped.  I can't tell if this is for real, or some high-concept
joke.  I checked out their website. It's just bare-bones a picture of
the "human storage unit," which is basically a small plastic utility
shed and a link to contact Numen Associates.  But when you run the
cursor over the picture little text blurbs pop out to tell you of the
unit's features.  When you run your cursor on the roof there's a
message that says "Perfect for storing down-sized workers, veterans
and the mentally ill."

I'm sure these guys would enjoy your comments, regardless.

Peace,
chance martin

At 2:57 PM -0800 12/4/99, Eugene Marsh wrote:
>Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 14:57:42 -0800 (PST)
>To: edelaney@numen.net
>From: ugene@numen.net (Eugene Marsh)
>Subject: Human storage unit
>
>Numen AssociatesŪ presents a revolutionary concept in microhousing. The
>Human Storage Unit provides accommodations and stable communities in
>modular groupings for the homeless.
>
>(SAN FRANCISCO, CA)- Homelessness has reached epidemic proportions in San
>Francisco. The city's homeless population has more than doubled in the last
>10 years to over 16,000! Although only the 13th largest city in the United
>States, San Francisco now has the 3rd largest homeless population after New
>York City & Los Angeles.
>
>The National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty in Washington DC recently
>named San Francisco one of five cities especially tough on the homeless.
>According to San Francisco's Coalition on Homelessness, General Assistance
>benefits are inadequate to secure even the city's cheapest housing. While
>the average vacant single room (SRO) without a kitchen or bath rents for
>$450 per month, general assistance for single adults was reduced from $355
>per month to $287 per month in 1998. If recipients meet strict eligibility
>requirements, three other county assistance programs could boost that
>amount to a total of $355- still not enough to rent a room.
>
>1999 polls have shown homelessness to be the number one mayoral election
>issue, yet city policymakers demonstrate a shocking level of ignorance
>about the harsh realities of street life. Mayor Willie Brown's press
>secretary, Kandace Bender, recently stated that, "The mayor's philosophy is
>to get people off the streets, and that's not always possible if you make
>it more comfortable for them on the streets." Former SF Health & Human
>Services director Earl Rynerson echoed that sentiment, stating, "When its
>comfortable for them out there on the streets, they stay out there."
>Seeking to assuage uncomfortable voters, politicians dabble in pre-election
>'aesthetic cleansing' like the anti-camping ordinances in city parks and
>the recent shopping cart retrieval campaign proposed by Mayor Brown.
>
>Let's face it- big government has failed miserably and most major
>corporations have only one social agenda- to make as much money as
>possible. Only an entrepreneurial startup like Numen Associates is uniquely
>positioned to provide a hybrid solution for the problem of homelessness.
>Company founder and Conceptual Officer Eugene J. Marsh explains, "The Human
>Storage Unit is a revolutionary concept in microhousing for the homeless.
>We envision them being grouped as 'neighborhood clusters,' in parks,
>beneath highway overpasses and other locations where the homeless already
>live." He elaborates further, "Each unit is prefabricated from durable
>polyresin and is relatively inexpensive. It measures 92 cubic feet, is easy
>to assemble and can be provided with its own, matching mailbox."

> [...]

END FORWARD

**In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.**

HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn>
6,000+ POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people

chance martin
468 Turk St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
vox: (415) 346.3740