Protests Against Sweeps of Homeless in Cleveland

Daniel Kerr (drk9@po.cwru.edu)
Sat, 04 Dec 1999 14:07:53 -0500

	Dec. 6, Protest against Homeless Sweeps in Cleveland
	By neoch@bbs2.rmrc.net

From: neoch@bbs2.rmrc.net
Subject: Dec. 6, Protest against Homeless Sweeps in Cleveland

Protest the Criminalization of Homelessness in Cleveland.

The Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless is calling on all those
concerned about the new policy in the City of Cleveland to sweep homeless
people off the sidewalks to stand with those who reside on the street to
protest this policy at the Monday December 6, 1999 at the Cleveland City
Council meeting at 7:00 p.m.

Mayor Michael White instituted a policy modeled after a New York City
initiative to force homeless people into shelter.  White is targeting
homeless people for loitering and disorderly conduct to force them off of
the streets.  He seems to have developed an "Out of Sight-Out of Mind"
philosophy for solving homelessness.

We are inviting you to participate in a demonstration at the Cleveland City
Council meeting on December 6 at 7:00 p.m.  We will meet outside City Hall
at 6:45 p.m. then enter together the Council meeting.  It is hoped that the
Mayor will be present at the December 6 Council meeting.

We encourage you to bring placards and signs.  We are protesting the
sweeping of homeless people from the streets, short term enforcement over
long term solutions, ticketing people for sleeping, targeting homeless
people, and the unconstitutional violation of basic human rights by the
Mayor.  Please encourage churches, synagogues, and other religious
organizations to join us for this demonstration.

If you have any questions or comments please call Brian Davis at the
Northeast Ohio Coalition for the Homeless at 216/241-1104.