Re: Winston Churchill quote

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:49:27 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, Aaron wrote:

> Winston Churchill devoted his life to the preservation of the British
> ruling class and its privileges, and more generally to the defense of
> capitalism and of Western domination of the world. He was awarded the title
> 'Sir' for that service.
>
> It is very possible that Churchill was responsible for more deaths than was
> Adolf Hitler. I'm sure that we could find a few nice-sounding quotes in the
> work of the latter gentleman also.

Possibly.  If you do, let me know -- I may have a use for them.

One of my favorite poets was Pablo Neruda.  He may have been
domineering, hypocritical, communist or fascist reactionary or
whathaveyou.  I know damn well just from reading him that he was a
terrible male chauvinist.  But I crave to write metaphors like he did!
He was a wonder at metaphors!

Very many idiots have said some wise and wonderful things, and very
many wise and wonderful people have said exceedingly stupid things.
One thing that growing up with a manic-depressive mother taught me
was a bone-deep appreciation that people are *complex*.  Somebody who
is an unmitigated bastard in one area may well be an unmitigated saint
in another.

I think that whatever a person writes, as well as whatever a person
does, should be judged on its own merits.

"We make a living by what we get.
 We make a life by what we give."

That makes a very real sense to me, no matter *who* said it.

_________
WRITE ON!
~~ Anitra
http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/projects.html for a full list of websites
and webrings because if I list them all here, you will be SO mad at me ...