Re: NCH and the Amarican Homeless Society

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 18:28:43 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Wandering Bear wrote:

>  I am advocating that you oppose "poverty pimps"!Tell them to their
> faces that their not wanted.In dealing with "poverty Pimps" you become
> one of them.I not saying that they shouldnt be confronted.They defenatly
> should be.Im saying that you cant deal with them positivly
> with out compromiseing yourself.

Here we have found a basic difference between our approaches, WB.  You
believe it is moral cowardice to deal with anyone who does not do
things completely as you believe right.  You believe that a better
world can be created by those who believe in a better way of doing
things banding together and refusing to have anything to do with
anyone who does things otherwise.

Do I understand you correctly?

I believe that it is moral cowardice NOT to deal with people you
disagree with -- even disapprove of.  I believe that all are human,
even our enemies, and all are capable of change -- the homeless, the
homed, the disenfranchised and the powerful, *everyone* can change, in
beliefs and actions and conditions.

I believe that there is a built-in wrongness to statements like "I
insist on being treated like a human being, you bloated corporate
asshole!"

I believe that putting your convictions on the line in open dialogue
with those you disagree with leads to more personal and social growth
than standing back and hurling slogans at them.  I believe that
working with large organizations, where you can see what they are
doing and call them on it when necessary, is more effective than
playing Lone Defender of the One Pure Way.  It is scary, yes.  It
takes constant vigilance to keep yourself from being co-opted, yes.
But it leads to positive *results*.  And I would far rather be scared,
and work hard, and accomplish something positive, than pride myself on
Pure Virtue -- safe in a camp of people who never disagree with me.

Do you understand what my viewpoint is?  You don't have to agree with
it -- just indicate that you understand how I've expressed it, by
putting it in your own words.

_________
WRITE ON!
~~ Anitra
http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/projects.html for a full list of websites
and webrings because if I list them all here, you will be SO mad at me ...