Re: NCH and the Amarican Homeless Society

Virginia Sellner (wych@tcd.net)
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 14:12:06 -0800

Anitra is exactly right WB and says directly and to the point what I was
trying to say, but did not get across.  She's right about Ruben and Sharon
-- they have closed minds once they have made a decision about an
organization, group, person or whatever.   They won't answer direct
questions and their minds are totally closed to anyone who might discover
that they are wrong, partially wrong or whatever.  I know this for a fact,
because once I stopped assuming that everything they said was the gospel and
looked at the other places and listed to people from there (SHARE) in
particular, then I changed my mind, tried to relay my findings on to them,
but they had closed minds, ears, and hearts.  SHARE and NCH are fighting the
battle -- AHS and the other groups that Ruben has set up are fighting part
of the battle and only part -- they are fighting their own agenda, and are
not willing to come to terms withothers as I see it.  I told you that
sometime back when I decided that I needed to drop away from Ruben's group
in order to keep my own sanity, and be able to look at things fairly.

Virginia

At 02:03 PM 12/26/97 -0800, Anitra Again wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Wandering Bear wrote:
>
>> All I want is an aggreement that "poverty Pimps"are an even
>> greater danger to homeless rights that those who couldnt care less.
>> And that we wont have any thing to do with them.
>>  Aggreed?
>
>Wandering Bear, would you take a moment to answer the points I made in
>my post?  This is one of the frustrations that I have with Sharon and
>Ruben.  They do not dialogue -- they do not listen to other people and
>respond to what they actually say.  They come into a "discussion" with
>an agenda, determined to push everything on that agenda, and never
>depart from that agenda.
>
>You are determined that we all disown "poverty pimps".  I, and SHARE,
>have been spending a great deal of effort since June to call LIHI to
>account and force them to actually give homeless people a voice in
>their housing project decisions, instead of simply using our name to
>get funding and then patronizing us.  We are struggling to make them
>change, publishing the facts of their behavior to bring down public
>pressure to make them change, we are meeting with them face to face.
>
>I consider this to be actually *doing* something about the problem
>Sharon and Ruben are screaming about.  But we have had no support from
>Sharon or Ruben whatsoever.  Instead they attack Tim Harris, SHARE,
>NCH -- organizations that I have seen do nothing but good.  Do you
>understand why I give no credibility to their campaign?  I *am*
>opposing those you call "poverty pimps".  I don't paint myself in
>bright colors and strut in public proclaiming war -- I'm busy *doing*
>something about the problem.  So is Gwen, so is Virginia, so are a lot
>of other people on this list who deal with patronizers every day and
>force them back a hard-won inch by inch.
>
>As I said in my post, there are obvious abusers all around us.  You
>can call them poverty pimps, or you can call them exploiters, or you
>can call them anything you wish because the CDA didn't pass, but if
>you are passionate about these convictions *go after the real
>targets*.
>
>Don't let anybody set you off after false targets just by pointing,
>yelling, and using loaded words.
>
>Another point I mad in my post that you did not respond to was -- put
>most of your energy into positives.  Abusers must be opposed, yes --
>but the main work of creating a better situation for all is going to
>come from positive action for our friends, not negative action against
>our enemies.
>
>> >Go build something.
>
>_________
>WRITE ON!
>~~ Anitra
>http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/projects.html for a full list of websites
>and webrings because if I list them all here, you will be SO mad at me ...

Virginia D. Sellner - Wyoming Coalition for the Homeless, P. O. Box 1232,
Cheyenne, WY 82003-1232,   email:  wych@tcd.net.    URL:
http://www.tcd.net/~wych