Re: NCH and the Amarican Homeless Society

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 14:03:55 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 26 Dec 1997, Wandering Bear wrote:

> All I want is an aggreement that "poverty Pimps"are an even
> greater danger to homeless rights that those who couldnt care less.
> And that we wont have any thing to do with them.
>  Aggreed?

Wandering Bear, would you take a moment to answer the points I made in
my post?  This is one of the frustrations that I have with Sharon and
Ruben.  They do not dialogue -- they do not listen to other people and
respond to what they actually say.  They come into a "discussion" with
an agenda, determined to push everything on that agenda, and never
depart from that agenda.

You are determined that we all disown "poverty pimps".  I, and SHARE,
have been spending a great deal of effort since June to call LIHI to
account and force them to actually give homeless people a voice in
their housing project decisions, instead of simply using our name to
get funding and then patronizing us.  We are struggling to make them
change, publishing the facts of their behavior to bring down public
pressure to make them change, we are meeting with them face to face.

I consider this to be actually *doing* something about the problem
Sharon and Ruben are screaming about.  But we have had no support from
Sharon or Ruben whatsoever.  Instead they attack Tim Harris, SHARE,
NCH -- organizations that I have seen do nothing but good.  Do you
understand why I give no credibility to their campaign?  I *am*
opposing those you call "poverty pimps".  I don't paint myself in
bright colors and strut in public proclaiming war -- I'm busy *doing*
something about the problem.  So is Gwen, so is Virginia, so are a lot
of other people on this list who deal with patronizers every day and
force them back a hard-won inch by inch.

As I said in my post, there are obvious abusers all around us.  You
can call them poverty pimps, or you can call them exploiters, or you
can call them anything you wish because the CDA didn't pass, but if
you are passionate about these convictions *go after the real
targets*.

Don't let anybody set you off after false targets just by pointing,
yelling, and using loaded words.

Another point I mad in my post that you did not respond to was -- put
most of your energy into positives.  Abusers must be opposed, yes --
but the main work of creating a better situation for all is going to
come from positive action for our friends, not negative action against
our enemies.

> >Go build something.

_________
WRITE ON!
~~ Anitra
http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/projects.html for a full list of websites
and webrings because if I list them all here, you will be SO mad at me ...