Re: alt.homeless

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 01:05:25 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Daniel Myers wrote:

> I checked out "the bird" website, and I have read some of their newsgroup
> postings from time to time.  Their organization has an ideological bend
> which is obviously inappropriate for a general homeless newsgroup.  They
> represent themselves to be "the liberal party", which not all internet
> consumers will want to identify with. The term "the bird" also is defined
> as a lewd sexual gesture.  It is obviously not appropriate for a general
> homeless newsgroup.

Thank you for checking it out, Dan -- and thank you to everyone else
who has mailed me that you have checked out the Great Bird site.

I posted the proposal on the Homeless discussion list, and on HPN,
because I believe that the only way this newsgroup will work is as a
community project.  I've had both positive and negative responses to
The Bird's proposal, and I definitely don't think we should go ahead
unless there's a consensus for it -- which we certainly don't have
yet.

I hope to hear from more of you.  In the meantime I will grab the "new
newsgroup proposal" guidelines off of usenet and send them in.

Whichever way we go, I want to repeat that I would like to have a
group of at least three "monitors' who will assist users on the
newsgroup -- and no "moderators" who will control postings.  I would
like to have volunteers/nominations for monitor as soon as possible --
the monitor individuals could also share responsibility for
facilitating a group consensus on the proposal, and following through
on the paperwork.

***

Update:  I have located these references:

[begin forward]
(4) "How to Write a Good Newsgroup Proposal", by David Lawrence and
Una Smith

     (a) in one of the following newsgroups: news.announce.newusers,
         news.answers

(5) "So You Want to Create an Alt Newsgroup", by David Barr

     (a) in one of the following newsgroups: alt.config, alt.answers,
         news.answers

     (b) by sending e-mail to mail-server@rtfm.mit.edu, with a blank
         "Subject:" line, and with the following command in the
	 message body:  send
usenet/alt.config/So_You_Want_to_Create_an_Alt_Newsgroup

     (b) by pointing your Web browser to:
         http://www.math.psu.edu/barr/alt-creation-guide.html
[end forward]

PS: Happy Hannukkah, Merry Christmas, Blessed Ramadan, Joyful Kwanzaa,
Merry Solstice, and may you enjoy it with a warm community, whatever
it is!
_________
WRITE ON!
~~ Anitra
http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/projects.html for a full list of websites
and webrings because if I list them all here, you will be SO mad at me ...
check back often, it's growing