Re: NCH practicing character assassination?

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:49:43 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, Wandering Bear wrote:

>  I would Like to see an end to This War between N.C.H. and the American
> Homeless Society.
>  A House divided cant stand.Bouth have the main goal of speaking out for
> homeless rights.What is the problem?
> Work it out!
> Peace Love and Light:)
> Wandering Bear

Wandering Bear, on the surface this sounds great.  But conflicts are
not truly resolved by refusing to face facts.  And the facts are that
there IS no war on the part of NCH.  The "war" is wholly and absolutely
instigated, fueled and maintained by the American Homeless Society.
It is impossible for the NCH to "reconcile" with someone who is
determined to fight with them.

When Ruben and Sharon show the ability and willingness to talk with --
instead of at -- and to work with others, then you can ask others to
work with them.  But you are going to have a lot to do with Sharon and
Ruben first, before you reach that point.

Ruben and Sharon have an amazingly fluid definition of "free speech".
They characterize their own vicious attacks as "mild constructive
criticism", and howl whenever they are told to lay off.  But my offer
to publicly post any documentation anyone has to refute Sharon's
charges they call "character assassination".  When I posted
documentation refuting Mike Lee's charges against SHARE, Sharon took
the brave stand for free speech of refusing to accept any posts from
me any longer, and objecting when my posts showed up on other mail
lists.

I will always call anyone on inaccurate statements, especially if they
are malicious inaccurate statements.  This is not "war".  This is
responsibility.

It is not pacifism to refuse to call a lie a lie.  It is not love to
let people continue destructive and self-destructive behavior without
calling them on it.  It is not productive to the homeless/activist
community to let people spread false and malicious charges and not be
called on their behavior.

This *will* happen, repeatedly.  This has not been the first time that
someone has tried to make themselves out to be a hero by dragging
someone else down, and it won't be the last time either.  The cleanest
way to deal with it is not by "negotiating", but by clearly stating
the facts.

The only reason I commented on Sharon's post was to keep any innocent
bystanders from being misinformed.  That is the intention of everyone
else, including Chuck Currie, Virginia Sellner, Michael Stoops, myself
and Tim Harris -- prevent the spread of false information, and make
source information available -- the kind of thing that can be independently
verified, a standard Sharon and Ruben notably lack in application.

I do agree that this fight is uneccessary and harmful.  Therefore I
suggest you concentrate on getting the American Homeless Society to
find a more productive use for its energies.  The rest of us already
have.  In spite of its monumental size in the world of Ruben and
Sharon, this "war" of theirs occupies very little of my life or that
of any of their named "enemies".

There is no way short of the heat death of the universe you are going
to please both sides in this conflict.  Don't try.  Take the stand that
you believe is right, and take responsibility for following through on
it.

_________
WRITE ON!
~~ Anitra
http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/projects.html for a full list of websites
and webrings because if I list them all here, you will be SO mad at me ...