Re: alt.homeless (fwd)

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 13:29:52 -0800 (PST)

I sent this in to the Homeless Discussion list, but forgot to send a
copy here.  I want to keep everybody posted.  I think if this idea of
a homeless nesgroup is going to be successful, it needs to be a
community project -- the 8whole* homeless community, not any
particular "faction".

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 10:04:31 -0800 (PST)
From: Anitra Again <anitra@speakeasy.org>
To: Homeless Discussion List <homeless@csf.colorado.edu>
Subject: Re: alt.homeless

Serendipity and synchronicity.  I was just contacted by The Great
Speckled Bird, an organization that has set up several newsgroups,
about setting up a homeless-discussion newsgroup.

You can check out their websites and their newsgroups at
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7835/thebird.html

Basically, our newsgroup would probably be called alt.thebird.homeless
Being associated with their family of newsgroups, it would be picked
up on a large number of news servers, and have a much better chance of
growing and lasting.  they could also get it up and running in about
24 hours, where going through the proposal process for a totally new,
independent newsgroup is a long, drawn-out business, taking at least
several months -- from what I have seen of the process.

They are adamantly opposed to censorship or moderated lists, which
relieves me.  I had intended to open up the topic of 'moderated' or
'unmoderated' next.  I would prefer an unmoderated list, myself.  i
would rather exercise my own delete key than have someone else filter
my messages for me.

They do have teams of monitors for each list.  Monitors do not
approve-or-reject posts, or subscribe-unsubscribe posters (which
can't be done on a newsgroup anyway, as far as i know).  Monitors
answer questions, post FAQ's and other helpful material, direct people
to other forums when that would be helpful -- they do not control
content in any way.

I would still like to see a broad spectrum in the monitors, in order
to encourage a broad spectrum in the list.

I would like to nominate the following monitors:

	Dan Myers
	Tom Boland
	Robert Norse
	Andrew Rose
	Anitra Freeman

As I've said, we could be up and going almost immediately if this list
is acceptable to the people interested in it.

Feedback?

Updates since then --

Robert Norse has said that he won't be able to be a monitor, for time
pressures.  How about you two, Andrew and Tom?

Dan Myers and a couple of people who wrote to me privately are not
wildly enthusiastic about The Great Speckled Bird, and would rather
have an independent newsgroup.  A couple of other people like the idea
of "piggybacking" on someone established, to get "broadcast" more.
Not many voices are in, yet.

I am going to hold off on giving The great speckled one a go-ahead on
the newsgroup, but i am probably going to set up a Homeless
column-area for them.  I'm going to be after all of you for columns!

This will be a way to promote the newsgroup, even if it isn't directly
associated with Speckled-One.

It's deadline time!  I'm off again ...

Oh -- Tom, or Andrew -- could you bring this up in Food Not Bombs?
i'm not going to have enough time today.

see you all!
_________
WRITE ON!
~~ Anitra
http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra/projects.html for a full list of websites
and webrings because if I list them all here, you will be SO mad at me ...