Re: Proposal: alt.homeless, alt.homeless.formerly, alt.homeless.newbies (fwd)

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:47:53 -0800 (PST)

Forwarded from my post to the Homeless Discussion list.  Dan Myers has
proposed the formation of new newsgroup(s).  this was my contribution
to the discussion -- if anyone is confused by not having more quotes
from Dan's post, please let me know.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 14:44:32 -0800 (PST)
From: Anitra Again <anitra@speakeasy.org>
Subject: Re: Proposal:  alt.homeless, alt.homeless.formerly, alt.homeless.newbies

I support the idea of a newsgroup specifically for discussion of
homelessness.  I am, like Daniel, unsure of what the prefix should be
-- there are alt. newsgroups and soc. newsgroups -- we probably don't
want to be a rec. newsgroup.

I think that one newsgroup should be extablished initially,
soc.homeless /or/ alt.homeless

I believe this would build traffic and further discussion faster, as
well as making it easier to handle the inevitable "trolls" (people who
post to a newsgroup purely to cause uproar).  More newsgroups could
'spin off' as needed.

I disagree with Dan, as he already doubtless knows, that "formerly
homeless" or "newly homeless" people belong off in their own private
worlds.  When I was newly homeless, I benefitted greatly from
experienced homeless women who advised me in safety and guided me to
resources.  The period when I was homeless was also the period when I
stabilized from lifelong manic-depression that had consistently
disrupted personal and group relationships all my life.  I formed some
of the closest relationships I had ever had during that period, and I
still have them.  I now have housing, and a limited income.  The
homeless community is still my community.  It always will be.  None of
us can change the world, all by ourselves, but we can each make a
difference if we tend to one square inch.  This is my inch.

There are non-homeless people who can speak to anyone with respect for
their human dignity, regardless of their socio-economic
circumstances.  There are homeless people who can't.  The most
fruitful discussion is going to come from caring people who are
willing to experience the realities that they are talking about, and
to actively listen to others -- fruitful discussion is not going to
come from doing means testing.
There is no truth that cannot be turned into a lie if you just ::
take it seriously enough. ~~ There is no lie that won't become ::
more dangerous if you just take it a little more seriously. ~~ ::
			  ~~ WRITE ON! ~~ Anitra L. Freeman ~~ ::
anitra@speakeasy.org             http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra