Re: TROJAN VIRUS (fwd)

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 03:15:58 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 7 Dec 1997, P. Myers wrote:

> this came from a generally very reliable source.  Pat M
>
> Subject: TROJAN VIRUS
>
>  IF YOU RECEIVE A FILE THAT IS CALLED > AOTOOLS.EXE > DON'T DOWNLOAD AND
> DON'T EXECUTE > CONTAINS A TROJAN VIRUS!!!!!!!  > WARN AS MANY FRIENDS AS
> YOU CAN PLEASE!  >

Well, at least it is warning about an executable file, instead of
about opening email.  You can't get a virus from opening email -- you
can get a virus from running a program, especially if you don't know
where it came from.

So if you get strange code in the mail, Just Say No.  Never run *any*
program unless you are certain of its source, and the sources
reputation -- and even then it's a good idea to run a virus-check on
it before installing.

But legitimate virus warnings come with a signature line indicating
*their* source.  Your friend may be knowledgeable, Pat, but ask
him/her to remember to leave the original source attribution intact
the next time forwarding a virus warning.  It gains a lot in
credibility when it has the coded signature of CIAC, or an equivalent
agency.

But like I said -- the advice not to run mysterious programs that show
up in your mail is valid, whatever the source.
There is no truth that cannot be turned into a lie if you just ::
take it seriously enough. ~~ There is no lie that won't become ::
more dangerous if you just take it a little more seriously. ~~ ::
			  ~~ WRITE ON! ~~ Anitra L. Freeman ~~ ::
anitra@speakeasy.org             http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra