Re: Seattle's brand of Canada's harsh treatment of poor...

Bonnie Briggs (s248_1132@hotmail.com)
Thu, 04 Dec 1997 14:03:27 PST

>From hpn-owner@aspin.asu.edu Thu Dec  4 13:50:56 1997
>Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 13:40:17 -0800 (PST)
>From: "P. Myers" <mpwr@u.washington.edu>
>To: hpn@aspin.asu.edu
>Subject: Seattle's brand of Canada's harsh treatment of poor... (fwd)
>Sender: owner-hpn@aspin.asu.edu
>

>says it all...  Pat Myers
>

>I think one of the worst situations forced on the poor by unthinking
and
>controlling bureaucracy is the choice between housing and loss of
>self-determination, as exemplified in one of Catalina's recent posts.
>
>Anyway, the Seattle Housing Authority, determining it "must clean up
the
>projects!"  has instituted policies that will allow what is tantamount
>the old dshs "bed checks"...for project residents...caseworkers may
enter
>at any hour and "inspect" the premises. Without notice.  At any time.
For
>no just cause except "we must clean up the projects."
>
>This sort of invasion of privacy was shamed out of DSHS in the early
70's
>in WA state, and here it is, back again, and rationalized as another
"for
>'their' own good" decision...*why are homeless, poor and marginalized
>*never assumed to be the most knowlegeable about our situatedness...the
>lives we live and the problems we encounter every_day_of_our_lives?
Sure,
>in part, if *we were believed, an entire service industry would
collapse
>in on itself...worse, the more probable agendas of the helping
>*institutions: the primary agenda being social control, would suddenly
>stand out in it's stark, quotidian heartlessness and greed.
>
>And what a shame that would be...politicians, the less marginalized
>citizenry...even some of us, who have internalized hatred of those like
>us, might have to begin to think about and own, actions that support a
>social structure that is built on crass competition.  Being better
>than...accumulating more than...knowing more than...to accomplish
>this...*someone...lots of someone's, must: be, have, and know...less.
>
>Whether we do or not.  There never seems to be an end to the human
>capacity to overlook or rationalize away injustice...if it's not aimed
at
>"us!"
>
>I want to make connections with people who believe they have my
interest
>at heart...folks with the power to make real substantive change
>happen...including politicos, but, more and more, I find it very hard
>swallow...because me and mine are never_quite_heard.
>
>God what an infuriating policy...and of course, unless ACLU does class
>action work, there is nothing the individual can do...no recourse, no
Fair
>Hearing...no fairness, period.
>
>Sorry, needing to rant.
>
>Pat Myers

Bonnie Briggs
Hi Pat,
  Hey, we have to rant somewhere. isn't it better to do it among
friends?
Bonnie

http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/4149

s248_1132@hotmail.com