outline of causes of and solutions for homelessness (fwd)

Donald Bokor (boko7751@uidaho.edu)
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 11:39:05 -0800 (PST)

Dear Ellen,

Thank you for yuor reply, and let's hope that others will provide their
input.  More comments are below.

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Peace through Reason wrote:

> At 09:28 AM 12/2/97 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >			c.  lack of motivation
>
> I think I would substitute the word "confidence" for "motivation" in most
> cases.

My take on this is that education and resources will give one the
confidence.  Yet, I've met people who are both educated and have resources
but do not do anything.  On the other hand, I've met plenty of people who
lack confidence, but who are still extremely motivated.  Confidence
without action is dead.  Maybe we should add a "d.  lack of confidence" to
the outline?

> I would add # 	4.  the homeless are mistreated
>
> 				a.  by police
>
> 				b.  by the media

I purposely left out any causes that are not reflective of the individual
homeless person as cause, for a couple of reasons.  First, as long as we
look for the causes of homelessness outside of ourselves then it is an
excuse to look outside of ourselves for the solutions, or to blame our
problems on something else.  Second, in large part homelessness is an
attitude.  Because the earth is OUR home none of us can in fact be
homeless (we are all on the earth, that is in our home).  None of us can
deny that there are people who feel perfectly at home living in the woods
or on the road, even though they don't have homes as we know them.  Once
we develop that confidence then the fear of being without a home cannot
stop us from acting to improve our situations.

As far as your suggestion for adding mistreatment by police and media is
concerned, I think that is subsumed under the headings of myths of
authoritarian governments (police) and capitalism (media).

> >		4.  develop information data base providing all available
>
> >			resources that homeless can access
>
> What kind of resources?  Have you got a start on such a list?

These resources include places to go to get shelter, food, work (I don't
mean paid employment either), and companionship in every locale that there
are homeless.

I have got access to books and webpage addresses that provide separate
lists that are subsets of the final whole list.  But, is this a project
that you all think I should do myself, or would anybody else out there
want to help me work on it?

> Ellen

Peace and Love Always (All Ways),
Donald W. Bokor