Re: Psych. label bible mocked in London Times

P. Myers (mpwr@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 13:52:19 -0800 (PST)

Bruce, I have a little different take on this (albeit not as
eloquent...but works for me!)...

The only times I'm not comfortable in my own skin are when I give up my
locus of control/self definition to someone whom I consider bigger,
stronger, smarter, or with stuff I need to survive.  Paradoxically, I know
that I need nothing more than to be comfortable in my own skin in order to
survive...that this sense of self-acceptance, is, for me, paramount.
Primary.  Sine qua non.

The other time I'm not comfortable in this skin of mine is when I've taken
action, or failed to take action, including just opening my mouth to speak
for or against, and I believe I should, or that I could have made a
difference, even a little one, had I chosen differently.

I don't sail through life...and I know some really insensitive
victim-blaming folks who *do!...but I sleep well with myself at night.

I've been reading  your posts, and you are all pretty hard taskmasters
with yourselves.  Especially Anitra.....*8D....

I know the sense of urgency is acute...I know lives are lost everyday (I
was present last year when a homeless woman shot herself...)... but you
need to take care of yourselves...because the way things are going, there
are more and more coming along who will need your help.

So please, *get comfortable, Bruce...give credit for what you *do...not
what you see needs to be done...and take some strength and comfort from
your participation in that.

(Moma)Pat