RE:Psych. label bible mocked in London Times

Donald Bokor (boko7751@uidaho.edu)
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 06:12:42 -0800 (PST)

Dear Gwen,

By downstream, I am referring to the buyers or consumers of our
organizations products.  By upstream, I am referring to the suppliers of
our raw materials.  At least in business.  In social movement
organizations downstream refers to the grassroots or the people affected
by the movement and upstream refers to the local, state, federal, and
private funding and social work agencies.  So my question is how do we
motivate the homeless to do something for themselves, as opposed to
looking to the government or industry for the help that they need?  One of
my ideas is to mobilize these people in voluntary community service
programs, another idea is to mobilize these people in political canvassing
actions, another of these ideas is to mobilize these people in soup
kitchens, work hostels and cooperative farms, and another idea is to
mobilize these people is civil disobedience actions such as squats,
consumer and tax strikes and public protests.  These are ideas for
downstream actions.  Ideas for upstream actions include going to funding
agencies for grants, and attempting to lobby politicians for better laws.
I prefer downstream action because the participants do not have to
compromise their demands in order to satisfy requirements of upstream
providers, although both avenues probably should be pursued.

Donald W. Bokor