RE:Psych. label bible mocked in London Times

Bruce D. Burleson (anvil@tiac.net)
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:58:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Liberty wrote:

> >not just arguing that "I can do it, therefore anyone can do it." I do not
> >think that that argument is going to wash here.
>
> Neither is the argument that "some people with mental illnesses can't work,
> so therefore - no help should be available to those that want to work".

That's not the argument I was making.  For those who feel they're ready
for the workplace, I think *absolutely* they should be given placement
assistance.  But if they fail at what they do, then there still needs to
be a safety net for them to fall back on.

> >I think it's erroneous, illogical and fallacious from the start.  To think
> >that the whole of the mental health community is as you saw it as a case
> >manager, also, is questionable.
>
> I saw the same thing happen all around, not only as a case manager and
> later as a patient advocate, but also as a *consumer* in the mental health
> system since I was about ten years old.  I have difficulty remembering
> anybody that ever asked ME what I need for ME, to make ME happy, and I
> remember a lot of people trying to write me off for life, before I even
> started living my life ...

Well I certainly respect your point of view.  I'm glad you "made it"
as such, but don't expect that *everyone else* can or will live up to
your standards.  Because ultimately you're not in their shoes and
they're not in yours.

:) Bruce