RE:Psych. label bible mocked in London Times

Bruce D. Burleson (anvil@tiac.net)
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 08:48:21 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 30 Nov 1997, Donald Bokor wrote:

> > The capitalists won't admit
> > it, but Marx was right about a lot of things, the theory of alienation
> > being one of them.
> >
> > :) Bruce B.
>
> My criticism of Marx comes from Proudhon, I think.  It goes like this.
> Because nobody, neither individual nor group, has perfect knowledge, then
> nobody can decide for another what their best interest is.  As a result,
> no representative government (nor vanguard party) can ever pursue the
> interests of the people themselves (nor the workers).  That is the
> responsibility of each individual person.  All we can do is collaborate
> with other like-minded individuals to mutally satisfy our needs.

I think the *fact* that no one has "perfect" knowledge lends credence
to the idea of a vanguard.  Because, the question of Marxism is not one
about one person deciding what's best for another, but a historical
approach to a *class* of people deciding to act in its own interests.
And that is where I agree with you: like-minded individuals acting to
meet their collective needs.

:) Bruce