Re: Double posting of messages on the list

Anitra Again (anitra@speakeasy.org)
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 00:04:01 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Bruce D. Burleson wrote:

> Got an idea, friends:  can we make sure that if we post to the
> list, we do not ALSO c.c. the message to people we know are on the
> list?  That leads to people getting the same emails twice and
> double-filling-up our mailboxes unnecessarily.

What would be better, although it will take more effort, would be to
try to keep mental track of who likes to get personal copies of list
posts, and who doesn't.  Believe it or not, Bruce, some of us who get
the most mail actually like to have that extra copy -- the way I have
my mail configured, anything addressed directly to me floats to the
top of my inbox, so I handle it first.  (Also, that personal copy
often reaches me before the list copy!)

That is why, if your mailer gives you the option to look at "full
headers", you'll see a line in my mail that says "Please cc me on any
list mail if you want my prompt attention to it."

I have noticed the addresses getting a bit tangled, though -- one
recent post that was a reply to a reply to a very long thread ended up
cc'd to about half the list. :)

I know it's a pain, Tom, but have you checked into putting a "Reply-To"
line in the list header?  That will make a lot of people happy -- and
then I just have to keep reminding people to put my cc address IN. :)
There is no truth that cannot be turned into a lie if you just ::
take it seriously enough. ~~ There is no lie that won't become ::
more dangerous if you just take it a little more seriously. ~~ ::
			  ~~ WRITE ON! ~~ Anitra L. Freeman ~~ ::
anitra@speakeasy.org             http://www.speakeasy.org/~anitra