RE:Psych. label bible mocked in London Times

Liberty (liberty@vaxxine.com)
Mon, 01 Dec 1997 02:38:01 -0500

Bruce,

At 11:51 PM 30/11/97 -0500, Bruce D. Burleson wrote:

>Up to this point you almost had me agreeing with you.

Oh, really?  That's so good to hear!

>However, there ARE people who, because of severe mental illness, simply
>cannot hold a job in the "normal" sense of the word.

Or so they're told ...

>I think it all depends on the individual.  You have to look at it
>from a case-by-case basis,

Now, this is a better answer ;-)

>not just arguing that "I can do it, therefore anyone can do it." I do not
>think that that argument is going to wash here.

Neither is the argument that "some people with mental illnesses can't work,
so therefore - no help should be available to those that want to work".

>I think it's erroneous, illogical and fallacious from the start.  To think
>that the whole of the mental health community is as you saw it as a case
>manager, also, is questionable.

I saw the same thing happen all around, not only as a case manager and
later as a patient advocate, but also as a *consumer* in the mental health
system since I was about ten years old.  I have difficulty remembering
anybody that ever asked ME what I need for ME, to make ME happy, and I
remember a lot of people trying to write me off for life, before I even
started living my life ...

Respectfully,

Liberty
- liberty@vaxxine.com