Fw: Re: most important studies

H. C. Covington (ach1@sprynet.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:05:56 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Ellen Berrey <ecb23@columbia.edu>
To: WELFAREM-L@AMERICAN.EDU <WELFAREM-L@AMERICAN.EDU>
Date: Monday, August 10, 1998 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: most important studies

The Research Forum's database includes summaries of 40 large scale,
rigorously designed program evaluations and policy analyses. They were
selected based on 3
criteria:

* Multiple sites or large scale single site, with scale adequate to primary
questions addressed;
* Reputation and track record of organizations developing and fielding the
project; and
* Relevance of research domain; populations studied; and program
components, policies, and activities evaluated.

These projects include:

-A Better Chance (ABC) Evaluation (Abt Associates, Inc)
-Alabama ASSETS Demonstration (Abt)
-Arizona EMPOWER Welfare Reform Demonstration (Abt)
-Assessing the New Federalism (Urban Institute)
-Big Cities Confront the New Politics of Child and Family Policy (Columbia
U.)
-Canada’s Self-Sufficiency Project (Social Research and Demonstration
Corporation)
-Confronting the New Politics of Child and Family Policy in the U.S.
(Columbia)
-Connecticut's Jobs First: Welfare Reform Evaluation Project (Manpower
Demonstration Research Corporation)
-Devolution of Welfare: Assessing Children’s Changing Environments and
Effects on School Readiness (Yale U.)
-Devolution, Welfare Reform, and Wellbeing Study (Columbia)
-Examination of State Diversion Programs and Activities under TANF (Center
for Health Policy Research)
-Florida Family Transition Program (FTP) Evaluation (MDRC)
-Fragile Families Project (Columbia U)
-Front-Line Management and Practice Study (Rockefeller Institute)
-GAIN Evaluation (MDRC)
-Iowa’s Limited Benefit Plan (LBP) Evaluation (Mathematica Policy Research,
Inc.)
-JOBS-PLUS Community Revitalization Initiative for Public Housing Families
(MDRC)
-LEAP Evaluation (MDRC)
-Minnesota’s Family Investment Program (MFIP) Evaluation (MDRC)
-Monitoring Child and Family Social Program Outcomes: Before and After
Welfare Reform in Four States (Chapin Hall)
-Monitoring States’ Welfare Reforms (U.S. GAO)
-National Evaluation of Welfare-to-Work Strategies (formerly JOBS) (MDRC)
-New Chance Demonstration (MDRC)
-New Hope Project (MDRC)
-New York Child Assistance Program (NY CAP) Evaluation (Abt)
-North Dakota Training, Education, Employment, and Management (TEEM)
Project Evaluation (Berkeley Planning Associates)
-Parents’ Fair Share Demonstration (MDRC)
-Postemployment Services Demonstration (Mathematica)
-Preschool Immunization Project Evaluation (Abt)
-Project on Devolution and Urban Change (MDRC)
-State Capacity Study (Rockefeller Institute)
-State Policies and Practices Regarding Substance Abuse, Medicaid, and the
Employment Needs of Welfare Recipients (Center (CASA))
-State Policy Documentation Project (CLASP)
-Substance Abuse, Economic Self-Sufficiency, and Welfare Reform (CASA)
-Teenage Parent Demonstration Program (Mathematica)
-Three States' Approaches Show Promise of Increasing Work Participation
(GAO)
-To Strengthen Michigan’s Families (TSMF) Evaluation (Abt)
-Vermont Welfare Restructuring Project Evaluation (MDRC)
-Welfare Reform and Children: A Multi-City Study (U Chicago)
-Welfare Reform: States Early Experiences with Benefit Termination (GAO)

This list and summaries for each project can be accessed at
http://www.researchforum.org. In the sidebar, select "Database," then
"Project List."

> Subject: most important studies
> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 17:26:31 -0400
> From: Ruth Wielgosz <ruth@RURALHOME.ORG>
>
> So far, what do you all think are the most important studies for
> indicating the eventual results of welfare reform?  By "most important"
> I mean the ones that have been taken the most seriously by large numbers
> of people, not necessarily the ones you agree with.
>
> The ones that spring to my mind are the Urban Institute's 7/96
> "Potential Effects of Congressional Welfare Reform Legislation on Family
> Incomes," the Tufts University state rankings, and the Manpower study of
> "labor force attachment" vs. "human capital development" programs.
>
> But what do I know?  I'm sure there are more.  Please help me expand my
> list a little.
> --

Ellen Berrey, Program Coordinator
Research Forum on Children, Families, and the New Federalism
National Center for Children in Poverty
154 Haven Avenue
New York, NY  10032
p: (212) 304-7132       f: (212) 544-4200
email: ecb23@columbia.edu
http://www.researchforum.org