Fw: Re: Ohio Update!

H. C. Covington (ach1@sprynet.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 06:21:38 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Sandra Smith <ssmith2@EMORY.EDU>
To: WELFAREM-L@AMERICAN.EDU <WELFAREM-L@AMERICAN.EDU>
Date: Sunday, August 09, 1998 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: Ohio Update!

Julie,

The Family and Medical Leave Act (1993) permits covered employees to take
12 weeks of unpaid leave at the birth or adoption of a child, OR for the
serious illness of an immediate family member or the employee's own
illness.  This law only applies to employers of 50 or more employees, plus
the employee must have worked for 12 months - minimum of 1250 hours to be
eligible.  (Nancy Dowd, 1993:339)

This paltry act is pretty well the extent of US family policy, there are
3rd world countries that do better.  A recent UN study found
that the US has the least generous maternity and nursing benefits in the
entire industrialized world. 80% of 152 countries offered paid maternity
leave.
And in more than 80 countries the law allows for breaks in the workday for
nursing.

I know that Tennessee's work requirement begins when the child is 16 weeks
old. I've seen state documents stating that they are required to comply
with the Federal law, and so cannot send a woman straight to work
immediately after giving birth.  What does the Ohio law say about this?  I
am certainly not a lawyer, And these women NEED one.

As to being forced to stop nursing a baby, the La Leche League can provide
information as to the irrevocable harm done by abrupting cutting an
infant off.

Damn this makes me mad.  I don't know why we do not all stop
participating in this corrupt system and get out there in the streets.

Has there been media attention to any of this?  Giving birth is not good
cause?  The national media should be all over this.  Anyone else out there
ready to secede from this immoral nation?

Let me know WHAT I can do.

Sandy

Sandy Smith Madsen
Institute of Women's Studies
Emory University
Decatur, GA  30033

"The quality of light by which we scrutinize our lives
has direct bearing upon the product which we live,
and upon the changes which we hope
to bring about through those lives."
                Nancy E. Dowd