Re: Tedrico's Page needs You!!!

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Sat, 1 Aug 1998 18:46:17 -0700 (PDT)


Tedrico, it's critical that - somewhere - you get your pages back up and
working.  The most important thing now, I think, is for you to ascertain
*exactly* why your pages are down.  At least at first, I suggest very
polite inquiries about that to your (possibly former) ISP, XOOM.

The URLs you list below seem to indicate that, for some reason, your Web
pages have been subjected to "lockout", which I take to mean "expunged" due
to content which XOOM - or someone who complained to them - finds
objectionable.

You mention below:
>I found that the supposed
>reason for this sudden drop of Tedrico's Page from XOOM's server, was
>... the use of MP3's ... which refers to the various browsing MIDI music
>that you've been hearing on Tedrico's Page pages since it's Grand
>Opening on the WWW back in Nov. '97.

Can you tell us more about why they moght object to this?  Copyright
violation perhaps?

My guess from what you present below is that the *real* reason why they
objected to what I assume is a post by you entitled:
"JOIN Tedrico's Page in the "CAMPAIGN AGAINST XOOM"!"

What did you say in that post?

When I just checked for your Home Page, the notice said that some pages may
be temporarily down while XOOM upgrades their sites.  It also noted other
possibilities why pages may be inaccessable, such as:

"Typo in the URL. (Remember, URLs are case-sensitive!)
This particular Member Page no longer exists
The page may be temporarily offline for maintenance. Try back later.
This Member may have been removed due to violations of XOOM's Terms of
Service."

Get all the facts you can, Tedrico - particularly a reply from XOOM's Web
Master as to why your pages are down - and keep HPNers updated.  If they
are censoring you as they seem to be doing, we HPNers ought indeed to
complain.

Consider also relocating you site to a more friendly ISP, such as
Geocities, Speakeasy, MakeList - or tao.com, which hosts the Food Not Bombs
list.

I hope this works out, my brother.  Please let me know how I might help you
to restore your excellent site. -- Tom Boland

Theodore Latham <tedrico@hotmail.com> wrote on 01 Aug 1998:
>Dear HPN Members,
>
>     Tedrico's Page was wrongly removed from cyberspace on 7/30/98
>around 6PM, by its web hosting service, XOOM. XOOM made no attempt to
>warn me before deleting Tedrico's Page and never contacted me after this
>action was carried out. But Tedrico is no dummy, and after 2 hours of
>server log back tracking and sniffing around their Administrative
>Command area, I found that an order was carried out to first lock out
>user access to Tedrico's Page, and then shortly after an order was
>issued to completely purge the entire directory that Tedrico's Page
>resides in and to remove all FTP access to the server.
>
>     All of this occured 10 hours before I found out. After digging
>deeper into the Administrative Actions area I found that the supposed
>reason for this sudden drop of Tedrico's Page from XOOM's server, was
>... the use of MP3's ... which refers to the various browsing MIDI music
>that you've been hearing on Tedrico's Page pages since it's Grand
>Opening on the WWW back in Nov. '97.
>
>     I immediately wrote 4 letters to both the XOOM webmaster
><webmaster@xoom.com> and their ABUSE dept. <abuse@xoom.com> and received
>what appears to be a reply yesterday, although it clearly was not
>intended for me to see. This reply and one of the original letters I
>wrote are included in this letter below. Their reply clearly shows FOUL
>PLAY and I won't allow them to get away with this, even if I have to sue
>them.
>
>     YOU CAN HELP TEDRICO'S PAGE by writing to XOOM at
><webamster@xoom.com> and <abuse@xoom.com> and telling them who you are,
>your organization or business groups's name, and what Tedrico's Page
>means to you, as well as, how you feel Tedrico's Page has helped the
>homeless through its existance in cyberspace! And don't be shy about
>giving them a piece of your mind while you're writing because we all
>know that ISPs and Web Hosting Services take pay offs like any other
>faction of big business on and offline, and I'm sure that was ultimately
>what prompted the sudden deletion of Tedrico's Page! Also, If you can
>CC: a copy of your letter to XOOM back to me at <tedrico@hotmail.com> ,
>I'd appreciate it :)
>
>
>Thank You For Your Support!
>
>Tedrico Latham
>
>_________________________
>TEDRICO'S PAGE
>http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/?homelessness
>JOIN Tedrico's Page in the "CAMPAIGN AGAINST XOOM"!
>P.O. Box 514 Rich Square, NC 27869 (252)539-4228
><tedrico@hotmail.com>
>
>
>Reply-To: "Abuse@Xoom.com" <abuse@xoom.com>
>From: "Abuse@Xoom.com" <abuse@xoom.com>
>To: "Theodore Latham" <tedrico@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Found something WEIRD in my Server Log!
>Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:44:58 +0100
>
>
>Uhhh!  Joey check this out!  Is it cool for one of our members to be
>able to do this?  Also this situation is getting out of hand.  One guy
>threatens lawsuit to have this site removed will now he is getting
>pissed and knows he has been removed.
>
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Theodore Latham <tedrico@hotmail.com>
>To: abuse@xoom.com <abuse@xoom.com>
>Date: Friday, July 31, 1998 10:01 AM
>Subject: Found something WEIRD in my Server Log!
>
>
>>Dear Xoom Webmaster,
>>
>>    This is Tedrico Latham, webmaster of Tedrico's Page Homeless
>>Resource Links page again and I'm sure I'm no stranger to you. This is
>probably my 13th time writing you in the near 5 months time I've been
>hosted by XOOM. This letter, however is not the typical 'MY SERVER IS
>DOWN' letter that I'm use to sending you each month. I'm writing this
>time cause I'm no dummy and I found this entry in my server log this
>morning at 4AM [EST]:
>>
>>host048.xoom.com - - [30/Jul/1998:18:01:45 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200
>>54 "http://logger.xoom.com/viewer/tedrico" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible;
>>MSIE 4.0; Windows NT)"
>>
>>host048.xoom.com - - [30/Jul/1998:18:01:48 +0000] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200
>>54 "JavaScriptTurnedOff" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.0; Windows
>>NT)"
>>
>>host048.xoom.com - - [30/Jul/1998:18:03:10 +0000] "GET /index.html
>>HTTP/1.0" 200 54
>"http://master.xoom.com/Actions/lockouts/x-ray/tedrico"
>>"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.0; Windows NT)"
>>
>>host048.xoom.com - - [30/Jul/1998:18:03:10 +0000] "GET /index.html
>>HTTP/1.0" 200 54 "JavaScriptTurnedOff" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE
>>4.0; Windows NT)"
>>
>>host048.xoom.com - - [30/Jul/1998:18:03:20 +0000] "GET /survey.html
>>HTTP/1.0" 200 54 "userTypedInURL" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.0;
>>Windows NT)"
>>
>>     which when I checked to see where the referring URL led to it took
>me to this page:
>>
>>http://master.xoom.com/Actions/lockouts/x-ray/tedrico
>>
>>     which had the following information listed on it:
>>
>>/usr/local/www/htdocs/t/e/tedrico
>>
>>x-ray: 2:No such file or directory on line 11
>>openDir("$PATH");
>>x-ray: No current directory pointer - call opendir() first on line 12
>>$FILE = readdir();
>>
>>     So when I began to back track to the root I stumbled across a LOCK
>OUT form located at:
>>
>>http://master.xoom.com/Actions/lockouts/
>>
>>     So quite naturally I checked to see if my site had been hacked and
>low and behold I wound up being referred to the following URL each time:
>>
>>http://xoom.com/error/Members404Error.xihtml
>>
>>     So then I went in Unix and attempted to access my server via FTP
>>and I kept receiving:
>>
>>530 Login Incorrect!! Login Failure!! Error
>>
>>     And thus my server log tells me my site has been down for 10
>>straight hours now. So then I checked out the 1st URL in the server
>log:
>>
>>http://logger.xoom.com/viewer/tedrico
>>
>>     and ran across this:
>>
>>XOOM Member Admin Utility
>>
>>        Administrator: Logger
>>
>>        Member tedrico (new window) has been locked out.
>>        FTP: None. The member's directory has been purged.
>>
>>        Password: estevez
>>        "Real" Name: Tedrico Latham  "E-Mail": tedrico@hotmail.com
>>
>>    Now I don't think I was hacked but instead that my website has been
>deleted and I'd like to know WHY!!! And how come I was not contacted?
>And how may I appeal whatever it was that you or someone else purged my
>site from XOOM for? I eagerly await your response!
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Tedrico Latham
>>
>>_________________________
>>TEDRICO'S PAGE
>>http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/?homelessness
>>Your Informative Homelessness Resource Link!
>>P.O. Box 514 Rich Square, NC 27869 (252)539-4228
>><tedrico@hotmail.com>



HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/>  Home Page
ARCHIVES  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/archives.html>  read posts to HPN
TO JOIN  <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html> or email Tom <wgcp@earthlink.net>