Re: An Idea... Street Roots website

Tom Boland (wgcp@earthlink.net)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 21:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

Remona Cowles <remona@portland.quik.com> wrote HPN on 24 Apr 1999:
>I have officially been given the go ahead to put
>up a website for 'Street Roots' in Portland,
>Oregon. The paper is struggling financially and I
>am hoping the website will drum up subscriptions
>and donations.

Ramona, some quick thoughts:

Do the website and help it grow, despite the barriers.  Building a list,
newspaper or website is a lot of work, best done daily.

Don't expect much cash help via the Internet.  I've gotten roughly $500
cash in two years (partly from contacts online) for HPN or to feed me.  HPN
cost me more than that, so part of the costs have come out of my
sub-poverty income.

No matter how poor or close to homelessness you are, when you ask for cash,
someone may lable you a "poverty pimp".  Ignore unfair criticism, and do
what you need to survive and do your activism and projects.

Maybe a nonprofit will sponsor you so you can apply for grants.

If you have monied friends who witness your work close up, ask them for
cash.  Personal connections are a key source of cash for projects which
mainstream funders consider undeveloped or controversial.

Also maybe post your query to the "street paper" lists:
<nasna@onelist.com> started by Jennifer Waggoner???
<nasna@egroups.com> started by Anitra of Real Change???
(Please correct me if I've mistakenly link persons with the above lists.)

There's an Oregon Homeless List you might post your query to, but I don't
have the address handy.

If you can't find info on subscribing or posting to the above lists, I'll
try to find info for you.

Also, maybe post to the Food Not Bombs list <fnb-l@tao.ca>.

All for now.  Best of luck, Ramona. -- Tom

>Hi Everyone:
>
>I have officially been given the go ahead to put
>up a website for 'Street Roots' in Portland,
>Oregon. The paper is struggling financially and I
>am hoping the website will drum up subscriptions
>and donations.
>
>One idea I had was to set-up an account with one
>of the online bookstores and sell some recommended
>books through the website to help bring in some
>money. Has anyone tried this before?
>
>I was thinking that I don't read enough on my own
>but between us all we do. If we, as activists,
>wrote and shared reviews of interesting reading
>anyone with a website up could use the reviews to
>do the same.
>
>The reviews could also be used in any homeless
>street papers too. It would be a nice addition to
>the papers: a recommended reading or book review
>section that would lead readers to good reading
>about homelessness and poverty.
>
>Any one else think this is something we could do
>as a group?
>
>(I know we are all bogged down with enough to do
>but the idea is to share energy...)
>
>Thanx,
>Remona Cowles
>Street Roots, People's Advocate, Writer, Vendor,
>and just plain all 'round gopher.

HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn>
4,000+ POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people