An Idea...

Remona Cowles (remona@portland.quik.com)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 12:05:30 -0700

Hi Everyone:

I have officially been given the go ahead to put
up a website for 'Street Roots' in Portland,
Oregon. The paper is struggling financially and I
am hoping the website will drum up subscriptions
and donations.

One idea I had was to set-up an account with one
of the online bookstores and sell some recommended
books through the website to help bring in some
money. Has anyone tried this before?

I was thinking that I don't read enough on my own
but between us all we do. If we, as activists,
wrote and shared reviews of interesting reading
anyone with a website up could use the reviews to
do the same.

The reviews could also be used in any homeless
street papers too. It would be a nice addition to
the papers: a recommended reading or book review
section that would lead readers to good reading
about homelessness and poverty.

Any one else think this is something we could do
as a group?

(I know we are all bogged down with enough to do
but the idea is to share energy...)

Thanx,
Remona Cowles
Street Roots, People's Advocate, Writer, Vendor,
and just plain all 'round gopher.