Re: Toronto Council proposal would end sheltering families in motels FWD

mail.ids.net (homey@ids.net)
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 01:04:35 -0400

Hmmm,

I have always believed that permanent housing was the answer to everyone's
needs, not welfare hotels.  But, since some communities cannot offer housing
to all, these welfare hotels should not be considered permanent housing...
but should move folks into permanent housing.  All to often folks just end
up stuck in a welfare hotel or shelter.  I think the biggest part of getting
housing is self-advice and joining together with other folks to stop
creating more welfare hotels and start building apartments for folks.

I am afraid this is to often the most sure solution and the easiest, but as
always our government would rather use Band-Aids.
I hate the idea of folks living in welfare hotels.  It saddens me to think
of a whole generation of children growing up in shelters...no stability.. no
proper education...no place to call their own. (personal space).

As always the simplest answer is build safe, affordable housing for all.
It's rather a simple idea but is works. He.

Thanks for listening to me rant.

Catalina