Re: Just Say No to homeless people & "continuium of care"? FWD

Graeme Bacque (gbacque@idirect.com)
Tue, 20 Apr 1999 21:26:43 -0400

Tom Boland wrote:

> HOMELESS PEOPLE'S VIEWS, News, Alerts, Actions & Research
> 4,000+ ONLINE posts by or via homeless & ex-homeless people
> HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn
> ***********************************************************Panhandling.
>
> To help homeless people, the director of D.C. Central Kitchen advises that
> we need to JUST SAY NO to:
>
>         Panhandling.
>         Leaving the "mentally ill" on the streets.
>         Warehouse shelters.
>         New initiatives that are old programs in disguise.

I notice that once again they are trotting out the boogeyman of 'mental
illness' in order to scapegoat homeless people and to establish pretext for
repressive measures.

It never ceases to amaze me ( or totally piss me off) how quickly these neo-con
politicians are to blame the homeless situation on some kind of 'epidemic of
mental illness' (the outbreak of which just happens to coincide with their own
period in office, and their social/economic policies) or (despite an expressed
strong distrust for politicians) how willing the general public is to buy this
particular piece of fundamentally defective logic.

Sorry boys, but this 'out of sight, out of mind; let's round 'em up and drug
'em into total oblivion' approach frankly totally sucks.

I also notice the author of the article was saying 'no' to the only option that
really will make a difference (namely the creation of affordable housing) by
simply neglecting to refer to it even once in the article.

--
 Graeme Bacque <http://webhome.idirect.com/~gbacque/gbacque.html>