Re: KWRU in Mexico: Kensington Welfare Rights Union FWD

P. Myers (mpwr@u.washington.edu)
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:00:18 -0700 (PDT)

Tom, I saw this too...it's such a great example of how
people with common problems can reach across arbitrary
nation-state borders and begin to build coalitions of
power...from the grassroots.

Thanks for posting!  pat myers

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Tom Boland wrote:

> [...]
> discussed with the plan on how to deal with them as well as problems of
> resources for the organization. Members of KWRU were able to engage in
> an intense dialogue about the struggles of poor people trying to stay
> alive in the US and the importance of building alliances with the people
> of Latin America. They were warmly greeted with chants such as 'Si se
> puede' 'You can do it' and 'Dura' 'Strength'. Many members took down the
> information regarding the March of the Americas and we discussed the
> possibility of Mexico's mascot of the poor and homeless 'Superbarrio'
> participating in the
> March.
>
> Prior to the meeting with the assembly of neighborhoods, the day got off
> to a rocky start where we travelled to the housing projects in order to
> get acupuncture after Cheri twisted her neck.
>
> We also were treated to a lovely lunch with Luis Lopez Alvarro and his
> wife Christina who had just returned from Thailand where they were doing
> research on alternative currency and attending another conference of
> academics.
>
> ---
>
> Miembros de la Kensington Welfare Rights Union se reunieron con
> personassin casas y lideres de la vivienda de la Asemblea de Barrios en
> la Ciudadde Mexico. En un cuarto, pared a pared, lleno con gente,
> miembros del KWRUparticiparon en la reunion de Asemblea de Barrios. La
> reunion parece muysimilar a las reuniones de miembros del KWRU por la
> discussion de desalojasactuales de sus miembros y los planes para
> evitarlos y tambiČn porla plactica de la problema de la falta de
> recursos para la organizaciŪn.Miembros del KWRU pudieron participar en
> un dialogo intenso sobre las luchasde gente pobres tratando de
> sobrevivir en los Estados Unidos y la importanciade hacer allianzas con
> la gente de America Latina. Les saludaron el KWRUcon gritas de 'Si se
> puede' y 'Dura'. Muchos miembros apuntaron la informacionpara La Marcha
> de Las Americas y discutieron la posibilidad de la mascotade los pobres
> en Mexico 'Superbarrio' participar en la Marcha.
>
> ---
> CONTACT INFO:
>
> Kensington Welfare Rights Union
> NUHHCE, ASFCME, AFL-CIO
> PO Box 50678
> Philadelphia, PA 19132-9720
> Phone: 215/203-1945
> Fax:   215/203-1950
> email: kwru@libertynet.org
> web:   http://www.libertynet.org/kwru
>
> ---
> Economic Human Rights Campaign updates are distributed via the
> "kwru-announce" email list. You can subscribe to kwru-annouce by sending
> email to "majordomo@libertynet.org" with the following in the BODY of
> the email: "subscribe kwru-announce".
>
> END FORWARD
>
> HOMELESS PEOPLE'S NETWORK <http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn>
> 4,000+ POSTS by or via homeless & ex-homeless people
> Nothing About Us Without Us - Democratize Public Policy

It is in the shelter *
Of each other        *
That the people live.*

>From a mural,