Re: hello

Theodore Latham (tedrico@hotmail.com)
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:20:09 PDT

Albert,

    Due to your urgent need for this information, I've decided to put
what I'm doing on hold and answer your inquiry now:

>WHAT DID YOU THINK ABOUT HOMELESS PEOPLES BEFOR YOU BECOME HOMELESS AND
AFTER THAT.

      I had never noticed homeless people until I, myself, became
homeless. Although I, too, lived in New York City in my early childhood
years, I never noticed them! Then I moved to rural North Carolina when I
was 10 and remained their until I was 17, only to move deeper south!
Still, I never noticed them. It wasn't until I became homeless at age
23, that I learned that the problem of homelessness existed in the
large, epidemic proportions that it does, nationwide!

     Now I know, after 4 years of experiencing homelessness in 13 states
and twice as many cities, both metropolitan and rural, that homeless
people are no different from "homes" people, with the exception that
they have no place to call "home". The new outlook I have on homeless
people is the basis of why I created Tedrico's Page, so as to help the
homeless to become "homed" like I currently am, today! As you have
probably seen, from visiting Tedrico's Page, I post a new survey
question every Saturday, in hopes of analyzing my viewer's responses,
and I have included the responses to a past week's survey question,
about "The Myths of Homelessness", for you to use as added support for
your "Stereotypes About the Homeless" paper, below:

1)All homeless are substance abusers!
2)Most people are homeless by choice!
3)The homless are a bunch of dirty people with head lice!
4)Lack of affordable housing is not a factor of homelessness!
5)The homeless are white males under 35 & homeless becasue they are lazy
and rebellious!

     If you need more input from other formerly homeless people, I
suggest you join the Homeless People's Network discussion list at:

http://aspin.asu.edu/hpn/join.html

     Hope this has been of some help to you Albert and say hello to
Spike Lee if you ever run across him in Brooklyn :)

Regards,

Tedrico Latham

_________________________
TEDRICO'S PAGE
http://members.xoom.com/tedrico/?homelessness
P.O. Box 514 Rich Square, NC 27869 (919)539-4228
<tedrico@hotmail.com>

ABirzh <ABirzh@aol.com> wrote:

>TEDRICO,
>
>    Thanks for E-mail . I'll wait for your information by Sunday, but
if you can please  do it more sooner.
>     So, i'm originally from Moldova ( former Soviet Union) , now i
live in Brooklyn, NY. I came in US  41/2  years ago.